Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Stocking 55 Gallon (208 L)
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Nomar18
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.11.02(Wed)21:45    Post subject: Stocking 55 Gallon (208 L) Reply with quote

Hi All,
Have a 55 G with aquaclear 70 and emperor 280, 30% change weekly and:
kribensis pair (spawned once)
7 tiger barbs
1 pictus (~3'')
1 flying fox, small.

The tank has been peaceful, but during their time taking care of fry, the male krib attacked/injured the pictus. I removed the fry, and things are a little better...My plan was not to raise the fry. I think I just left them in there too long.

My point being...
1. I was thinking of possibly trading in the female...no fry means little to no aggression on my other fish. Could I add more pictus or any other community fish with no female in there?
2. Keep this set up and just be prepared to remove fry (possibly as frequently as every month)
3. Or get rid of both male and female and go with strictly community fish? (kind of a big change). If I had to do this I'd want color to go with barbs (serpae tetras? cherry barbs? ruby barbs?)

Adding 2 more pictus would be cool because I do like them and they do better in schools of 3 or more, but idk if it's possible with 55 G tank.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

JP
jemsriki
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.10(Sat)6:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your filtration is good, I think it's OK. As you pointed out, the loaches aren't as much of a bottom dweller as the other two and julii's and kuhli's are pretty small as far as bottom dwellers for 55's go. Yes, 6 kuhli's should be fine. I keep 6 if the striped and they are out and about all the time. Loaches do best in groups of 5 or more, so I would go ahead and get 2 more. Razz Embarassed
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: