Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
50 gallon stocking?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
luke2214
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.05(Mon)17:16    Post subject: 50 gallon stocking? Reply with quote

I am resealing a 50 gallon glass aquarium I got from my uncle. I already have a 30 gallon with common community fish but with the 50 gallon, I was looking for somthing more uncommon and interesting. I was looking at knife fish, elephant nose, and red bellied pirahnas. My favorite idea is the pirahnas but I don't know if a school of 4 to 5 could fit in that tank. I need suggestions on my thoughts or any other interesting fish that I didn't mention ( a lot).
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.03.06(Tue)4:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of those options is suitable for a 50 galllon.
Mormyrids are unsuitable in aquaria, most knives grow too large and piranha need at least 120 gallons for a shoal.
(Plus piranha are very boring to keep)
You could have a group of glass knives, a single brown knife fish but these are nocturnal, or how about a pet South or Central American cichlid?
What are the 50 gallon's dimensions?
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.03.06(Tue)8:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on dimensions and what filtration you are planning on, a colony of Pseudotropheus saulosi could work. They are fun fish and very colorful: males are black/blue barred and females are bright yellow. You could possibly stock 3m/9f.

You would need to set the tank up with a sand substrate and lots of rockwork. Plants will usually be devoured but vals, anubias, java fern, and amazon sword seem to survive most of the time. Otherwise, fake plants or no plants would be just fine: the mbuna don't really care as long as there are caves to stake their territory in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
luke2214
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.06(Tue)16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas, I'm not sure on the exact demensions but the tank is longer than is wide and the width is about a foot. The tank is going to have triple the amount of filteration needed.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: