Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
The Dumpster Tank - remade
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.03.06(Tue)10:10    Post subject: The Dumpster Tank - remade Reply with quote

Some of you might remember my story of going "dumpster diving" for this tank/stand combo a few years back. Laughing

Tank size: 26g flat back hex
Filtration: Eheim 2215
Heater: Eheim Jager 100w
Lighting: 78w T5HO
CO2: DIY with Duetto reactor
Ferts: dry (EI method)
Substrate: Seachem Flourite Black Sand
Plants:
Blyxa japonica
Blyxa alternifolia
Ludwigia inclinata
Ludwigia sp Cuba
Rotala macranda sp Japan Red
Lilaeopsis mauritiana
Ludwigia glandulosa
Persicaria/Polygonum sp Sao Paulo
Frogbit
Java moss
Rotala Rotundifolia
Ludwigia repens
Bacopa monneri

Fish:
2 Betta albimarginata
5 Puntius oligolepis
5 Trigonostigma hengeli
7 Corydoras panda
4 Corydoras leucomelas

This tank has had several makeovers over the past few years. For awhile, it sat neglected in the basement with nothing but a few corydoras, a pair of albis, and a whole lot of moneywart growing uncontrollably.

I decided to give it an overhaul and actually start dosing CO2 and ferts. Discovered my light was WAY too close to the substrate and raised it up, plus switched out the substrate to Seachem Flourite Black Sand because the fish were stressed by the light playsand.

Pics to follow!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.03.06(Tue)10:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

First shipment of plants planted!

C. leucomelas say "It's too bright in this tank!":

Male albi, washed out due to bright light and substrate:

Sassy little female albi, not much phases her:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.03.06(Tue)10:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before:

After:

Shelf brackets, decorative plant chain, (hubby's ideas), some eye bolts and a father who can do anything:

A tank light that doubles as extra living room lighting:

coryfan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.03.08(Thu)20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that tank sure looks classy with everything darker, in my humble opinion.
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.03.08(Thu)23:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the corys OK with Flourite sand? I find the stuff is quite sharp even though it feels soft if you pat it. When I was washing all the dust out of mine, my fingernails were completely covered in little scratches...I've never kept corys on it because of that.

Nice pair of albis though - very cute little wild Betta.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.03.09(Fri)8:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

unissuh wrote:
Are the corys OK with Flourite sand? I find the stuff is quite sharp even though it feels soft if you pat it. When I was washing all the dust out of mine, my fingernails were completely covered in little scratches...I've never kept corys on it because of that.

I was apprehensive when I ordered it because I'd heard reports of it being sharp. When I got it, though, I was surprised at how smooth the grains are... I wish I'd saved a bit out and done a comparison picture to the various types of sand I've used: TMBS, silica sand, playsand, black blasting sand, flourite sand, Estes black marine sand. Of those substrates, I would never again use TMBS for cories, and certainly wouldn't use the blasting sand for them (though sadly a lot of people do) as I actually cut my fingertips washing the stuff. The silica sand is ideal but is VERY light colored (almost white) and tends to compact, causing anaerobic gas pockets. The playsand is a nicer color, but still quite bright and it is even worse for gas pockets. The flourite has larger grains than either the silica or the playsand, but they are still fairly smooth. The Estes sand is fantastic... but the grains are SO lightweight that I lost about half of it down the drain when I was rinsing it, and it takes a long time to settle (bubbles actually float up to the top of the tank coated in sand grains!). Still, its so fine and nice that it's practically soil, and just perfect for my little dwarf cories in the 20g.

I think I'll actually pull a bit of flourite sand out of the tank and let it dry so I can take a close up pic, and then do a post specifically about substrates.

Oh, and also: I do have a backup plan for the corydoras if I'm wrong and the substrate is not barbel friendly: setting up another tank! Laughing

Quote:
Nice pair of albis though - very cute little wild Betta.

I got them from a friend and AoA member: Jun. She actually gave them to me for free, from one of her spawns. They were TEENY tiny when I got them! I've heard a lot about them that for some reason just doesn't seem to be true with mine. I've read that they're best in trios/harems, not pairs, but my two are great. If anything, the female is more assertive than the male. I can't imagine him EVER pushing her around. Plus, since the male does the egg holding, I'm not sure what would happen if both females decided to breed at the same time. I've heard they don't like a lot of current, but mine really seem to enjoy the river-like atmosphere provided my the Eheim 2215. I've heard they are jumpers and I'm insane for keeping them in an open topped tank... but they've been in there for a couple years now and both are still present and accounted for. Perhaps the lip on my tank is large enough to keep them in. I do now have floating plants that are slowly covering the surface, so that gives me a bit more peace of mind, anyway.
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.03.10(Sat)22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be nice to see a comparison picture of the Flourite. I'll try to take a picture of mine too, maybe the supply is slightly different since we're on opposite sides of the world. Very Happy
Danikins
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.04.09(Mon)22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love all the plants but I also so love the tank itself. That shape is so awesome. I've never seen one like that in stores.
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: