Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Nutrient deficiency diagnosis
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Arctic
Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.26(Sun)10:34    Post subject: Nutrient deficiency diagnosis Reply with quote

I lost my Hygrophila corymbosa due to overcooked-asparagus stems and some unknown deficiency (light or nutrients). My anubias nana are starting to show signs of some nutrient deficiency but I am not exactly sure what.

I am thinking that it is either a potassium or phosphate deficiency. Does anyone have any ideas?

I've ordered the following Seachem products and plan to begin some fertilization schedule:

• Seachem Flourish Comprehensive
  • Seachem Flourish Trace
  • Seachem Flourish Nitrogen
  • Seachem Flourish Potassium
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.02.27(Mon)16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't look like potassium, but don't have much experience with nutrient deficiencies.

Best approach is just to dose all the nutrients in a balanced manner (see PPS-Pro or EI guidelines) - that will eliminate your problem without all this guessing and counter dosing etc.
Arctic
Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.27(Mon)20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, unissuh! I am seriously considering the PPS-Pro dosing method once I use up my 500ml bottles of Seachem fertilizers Rolling Eyes

I'm going to give this chart a try:

http://www.seachem.com/support/PlantDoseChart.pdf
Arctic
Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.28(Tue)21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also this really neat calculator that can help me use my Seachem Flourish fertilizers in the Estimated Index or Perpetual Preservation System dosing methods.

http://calc.petalphile.com/

I'm going to give it a try (instead of the Seachem dosing chart) and will come back with results.
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.03.01(Thu)1:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know if it works.

You may also want to add a phosphate fert to your mix - I notice that is lacking. Also, Flourish trace is quite dilute, as Flourish comprehensive has all the trace in it, suggest you just use that one as a "trace" mix if you are going to continue with the Seachem line.
Arctic
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.02(Fri)21:40    Post subject: Lights and ferts! Reply with quote

Unissuh,

Thank you for the suggestion on the fertilizers. I switched the Seachem Flourish Trace for the Seachem Flourish Phosphorous. The fertilizer dosage recommended by the calculator (EI daily) appears to be working extremely well. The yellow spots/holes on the anubias nana have not grown since that picture but turned brown then crumbled away. I'll post pictures tomorrow when the lights are on.

On Tuesday, I replaced the hygrophila corymbosa with 6 Myriophyllum pinnatum, 2 cryptocoryne spiralis, and 1 Echinodorus tenellus. The myrio seems to be really flourishing in the tank. The crypt looked very healthy though it appears that the tip of one of the leaves is doing a "crypt melt" thing.

I also got a 54W Zoo Med Ultra Sun T5HO and a 54W Zoo Med Flora Sun T5HO bulb today. Those are replacing the stock bulbs that came with the Aquatic Life T5HO dual lamp fixture (1 5000K 54W T5NO bulb and 1 650nm T5HO "roseate" bulb). Hopefully this encourages more growth! It will be interesting to see if I will need to tweak my fertilizer dosage with the new lights.

Once I use up the Seachem fertilizers, I am planning on switching over to dry fertilizers. They will be much more cost-effective than buying the Seachem liquid line. For example, 1 pound of Mono Potassium Phosphate (KH2PO4) is selling for 5.00USD at Green Leaf Aquariums whereas 500ml of Seachem Flourish Phosphorous is currently selling for >11.00USD (Seachem Flourish Potassium is selling for >15.00USD).
paisley
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.03(Sat)0:40    Post subject: Same spot on my nana??? Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread but my annubias looks just like this one! I also noticed some small brown circle spots on my other plant which I don't know excatly what type of plant it is but is has smaller leaves and is taller than the nana. Anyways, my LFS guy said I could hold off on fert. for the plants since I used eco-substrate that had stuff added too it. Should I buy some fert for the plants tomorrow?? One of the tall one's did die and I removed it today. The pH in the water is 7.8, is that too high? Any input is appreciated.
Thanks,
Paisley
Arctic
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.03(Sat)8:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the diagram from here:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fertilizers-water-parameters/98529-plant-deficiency-diagram.html
paisley
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.03(Sat)13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, and I read the thread below the diagram which was helpful also:) I do still wonder about adding fert. or CO2 to my tank?? I know the plants I bought were supposed to be hardy since I told the LFS guy that I really don't know what I am doing so I need something that can tolerate a bit while I learn. I noticed that my pH is 7.8 in the tank now and it was 6.8 when I added the betta 5 days ago. Not sure why the pH jumped?? Or if I should alter it with a w/c since the pH in my tap water is 6.6-6.8. Also, thinking that I should add something for the plants but after reading on the CO2 thing, it seems like I might do more harm than good since I have no background in that area. Confused
Thanks again for the info though,
P
Arctic
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.03(Sat)14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised last night, here is a photo of my anubias nana four days after fertilizing started. The picture is from the underside because it got knocked out of the substrate and rotated.

Here is a full tank shot from a few minutes ago:

Compared to this full tank shot that was taken the day after I planted my plants (February 1Cool:

The ludwigia took a bit of a beating and have been spread out a bit more. Also, the hygrophila corymbosa are no longer in the aquarium.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: