Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Can multiple heaters mean better efficiency?
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Arctic
Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.21(Tue)3:52    Post subject: Can multiple heaters mean better efficiency? Reply with quote

If I were to have two 250W heaters in my 55 gallon aquarium, could it reduce the overall effort required to heat the aquarium? The thermostat for my house is set for 62 degrees at night (11pm to 7am) and (sometimes) sends my water temperature down from 76 degrees to 72 degrees. On top of the added redundancy of heater, I would like to think that a second heater could keep the water temperature closer to 76 degrees at night.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.02.21(Tue)15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly won't hurt to have two heaters running.
Arctic
Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.21(Tue)19:03    Post subject: early morning Reply with quote

I'll probably buy another heater for good measure. Although two heater can use more wattage than one, I guess the amount of time that both will be running could theoretically be reduced. The only reason why I knew the temperature dropped so low was because I woke up at 4am freezing; I wonder if it does that all the time though that would require me to stay up or wake up late/early.[/list]
coryfan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.03.01(Thu)13:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps pros and cons of having more watts than is needed for your tank. If I am not mistaken, higher watts means lower time the heater has to be on (and the heater has a longer lifespan?). But if there was ever a malfunction, the fish would probably get 'cooked'.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.03.01(Thu)14:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is unlikely that both heaters would malfunction at once, so there really wouldn't be an increased likelihood of frying your fish with two heaters. In fact, many people feel that having two heaters that are under the recommended wattage actually increases their odds of avoiding fish deaths due to heater malfunction. It has been my experience, however, that even when under-wattage heaters fail, the water gets really hot, really fast and deaths can still result.

As far as the temp falling at night, it sounds like the lights in the aquarium are actually providing most of the heat.... are they incandescent or flourescent? Raising the fixture could prevent the water heating up so much.

It is a good idea to place a heater under/in a filter flow, or position an airstone underneath it to better distribute the heat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: