Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Tap water and ammonia
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.26(Sun)20:16    Post subject: Tap water and ammonia Reply with quote

I've noticed a lot of people have some ammonia in tap water. I do too. Usually between 0-.50 ppm. I usually use bottled water and rainwater. What do I do when I run short of those and have to add a little tap water. I don't like using all these chemicals and neutralizers, but how do I handle this situation?
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.02.27(Mon)3:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smaller changes more often. A mature filter will process the ammonia and although the nitrates in the tank may not reduce much at each change there are other fish products that will be diluted.
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.27(Mon)8:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water changes I can do. But your saying that my filter and nitrates should handle the little tap water I may use. I usually just do it occasionally and just in small amounts. If I need a neutralizer, what do you recommend and I dilute it first.
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.29(Wed)7:38    Post subject: Ammonia in tap water. Reply with quote

If I need to neutrak=lize a small ammount of ammonia in tank once in a while from well water, Which product do you recommend? This would be for a 10 and 20 gallon tanks. Normally use bottled spring water with tested rainwater, but occasionally need to top off with a little tap water that has been sitting around.
Thanks in advance.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.03.01(Thu)3:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mature filter will cope with a small amount of ammonia for small, <10%, water changes.
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.01(Thu)4:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good to know. Last time I added a small amount of tap water, it didn't change reading of ammnia or nitrates. They both stayed in normal ranges. 0 ammonia and Nitrates 20-30. That is with shrimp in tank too. Thanks.
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.03.01(Thu)5:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use Seachem's Prime as a dechlorinator, it will also detoxify the ammonia for a day. Should be processed by the filter by then.
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.01(Thu)6:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fhank you for quick response. I have prime on hand. It rained here, so I have a pretty good supply of rainwater. My Betta loves the rainwater best.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: