Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Juli Corydoras breeding
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
jsuereth
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.02.25(Sat)13:00    Post subject: Juli Corydoras breeding Reply with quote

Is it possible, in a heavily planted tank, to have Juli Corydoras breed successfully without any intervention? This is my only shrimp-less tank, and I think I just saw, today, a juvenile corydoras that's smaller than any I've purchased.

What do I need to do to keep the little guy alive?
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.02.25(Sat)15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes its absolutely possible. If he's already big enough to be close to the size they sell them in the LFS, he'll probably survive without any intervention. Adult corydoras usually will eat the eggs and teeny tiny fry, not juvies.

Last edited by nikelodeon79 on 2012.02.27(Mon)9:52; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
jsuereth
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.02.27(Mon)9:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got a shot proving it. Here's the (probably sole) surviving spawn:

Appears to be hanging around two big corydoras, perhaps parents?

So the next question is, how do I duplicate this process? Smile
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.02.27(Mon)9:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get your Corydoras trilineatus (they aren't C. julii) to spawn again feed them lots of meaty foods, eg bloodworm, for a couple of weeks and than do a large water change to trigger spawning.

Adding some marbles or large smooth gravel to the tank bottom will allow more chances for the fry to survive.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.02.27(Mon)9:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: do you always keep them in a bare bottomed tank??

I would definitely add some smooth, small grained sand for them. Keeping corydoras in a bare tank isn't a good idea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
jsuereth
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.02.27(Mon)11:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
To get your Corydoras trilineatus (they aren't C. julii)
Sad

Will have to chat wtih pet-shop owner about that. Not that I mind much, but I was hoping to have a single-species "leapard" cory tank. trillineatus are fine. How can I "id" the difference between the two? I purchased them in two waves.

nikelodeon79 wrote:
Question: do you always keep them in a bare bottomed tank??

No. There's a very thin layer of sand on one side, and the corydoras are usually chilling in the terracotta pots (which has sand on top of dirt). They all have their barbells and are pretty active in the tank, so I assume they're doing OK. I was planning on this tank being a short term thing, but haven't had the funds nor time to repair my 125G, so started stocking the tank to help the plants. Perhaps soon I'll just put in a substrate + add some blackworms for the corydoras, since it'll likely be another 6 months before the main tank is repaired.
kimura
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.03.01(Thu)11:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bred my panda cories and raised 6 fry to adults. Generally a massive
water change with slightly cooler water along with some good foods can trigger spawning. This replicates spring coming and the melting montain snow draining into their rivers cooling the water down some.

I've found that panda fry are very sensitive to water quality and water changes. I can't speak about the survivability of any other cory species.
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: