Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Attempting a semi-planted mbuna setup
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.02.18(Sat)2:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It sure didn't take them long to settle in. I received a HUGEMONSTEROUS Amazon Sword in the mail and as I was adding it to their tank, they tried to eat my hand.

Laughing that sounds more like them.

Quote:
I'll probably wait a week or two and if the joans aren't in stock, bite the bullet and add the adults.

Yeah I guess if you really need to then I'm sure you can make it work and it'll be fine. Annoying when things like that ruin your plans hey!

Any pics of this monster sword you speak of?
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.02.18(Sat)20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an updated pic:

I added the big sword and the smaller chain swords in the front. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.02.18(Sat)21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow looking great! You weren't lying about the sword lol.

Any plans to add more rock work?
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.02.22(Wed)22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely going to add more rockwork. As much as I love how it looks, I think I have to replace the grapevine with more caves.

I added my adults yesterday... Found my young male Rusty dead tonight. *cry*

So, yeah, definitely more rockwork. There are no more males in the tank that are a threat (one or more saulosi might be male but they're way too young for my white top to concern himself over) so I'll time the cave addition with the addition of more fish (the joans and a new male rusty).

I might try to incorporate the grapevine on the top of some sort of cave structure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.02.24(Fri)1:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you can keep it looking great with some more rockwork Smile What are you planning on using? More slate?

Sorry to hear about the rusty! Any news on the joans?
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.02.24(Fri)9:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bunch of lace rock I used in a previous setup that I'll probably try to make something creative out of. I never siliconed them together and they were always a pain as a result, but this time I figure if I silicone them for easy removal it will be fine.

I also have a HUGE lava rock but am not sure where I'd fit it in.

I've been on a cichlid forum and some posters think it might not have been the White top, but something else altogether, because they find it odd that a white top would attack a dissimilar male. Who knows!

I did get credit for the Rusty from the seller (highly recommended site: livefishdirect.com) and still have credit for the joanjohnsonaes. It looks like they still only have two in stock. I'm considering going with a different species altogether... but am not sure which ones. Maybe Mainganos.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.03.05(Mon)17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

The joanjohnsonae are finally in stock and I'm just haggling over a few details with the seller, and then I'll order them and a replacement male Rusty. I will be sure to have my extra caves ready to put in when the new fish arrive.

A plant update: the mbuna ripped up nearly all of the plants in the back corners, and a lot of the blyxa japonica in the two front corners. They then showed their further distaste of my decorating style by shredding the plants.

I managed to brave the little buggers (they tried to eat my arm) and replanted what plants I was able to salvage.

The swords, vals, anubais, and java fern are mostly being left alone and are doing well.
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.03.06(Tue)4:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minus the plants being ripped up (would have been a miracle if they all survived, lets be honest) sounds like its going well Smile

Much growth in the plants that are being left alone?

Keep the pics coming Very Happy
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.03.06(Tue)8:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vals are doing fantastic. Some of them initially melted/browned out but new leaves grew quickly. It's a shame that I'm going to have to move them when I add the new rockwork but so it goes. They should be fine (I hope).

The big sword was already ginormo, but the small sword seems to have good growth. The few plants that didn't get ripped up in the corners are also doing well (I still can't remember the names of them, LOL). The blyxa that managed to stay rooted is also thriving.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.03.26(Mon)11:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved the suspected aggressor (the Hara male) to his very own "time out tank." New fish scheduled to arrive on Wednesday, including the joanjohnsonae.

Since the catching the hara involved me taking every bit of rockwork and plants out of the tank (though I refused to uproot the large sword), I redid the tank and added more caves. Will get an updated pic soon!
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: