Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Hello from Northern Ireland!
 Forum Index > Introduction to this Community  Reply to topic   Post new topic
MichaelOverHere
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.19(Sun)9:08    Post subject: Hello from Northern Ireland! Reply with quote

Hello, I'm Michael and I'm a Student from Northern Ireland, I am basically a complete beginner for fish keeping but have ventured in as a hobby.

Started off with 2 Goldfish in a small, filterless tank then, got given 3 fish and a pretty decent 49 litre tank (with filters, lights etc) then after they passed the tank has sat empty and depressing looking.

Was off school for a week and though I'm going to do something with that tank, so I cleaned it all out (flooded the bathroom doing so) went to the local fish store and got ornaments, plants, heater etc. and started on my way to building up a Tropical community tank.

After some fish-less cycling I went to the fish shop and they recommended starting off with some Guppies to start with the Ammonia -> nitric - nitrate stuff and all these fancy bacteria.

Started of with 5 male guppies, but now only have 3 (I think victim of bullying by the alpha male fish as they had nipped fins but got water all checked and other than a little bit of Ammonia developing it was fine)

So, thats my short fish history, please introduce yourselves
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.02.19(Sun)9:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi & welcome.

I don't think you did a fishless cycle and please find another shop if "they recommended starting off with some Guppies to start with the Ammonia -> nitric - nitrate stuff and all these fancy bacteria." If you did do a fishless cycle the ammonia/nitrite vbacteria would have been in place & if you hadn't thier quizzing and advice would have meant you didn't tell us you "After some fish-less cycling".

Your fish died because the tank wasn't ready Sad Many shops would rather sell something than give good advice & make a sale later.

The only acceptable ammonia reading is zero.

For now be ready to do regular water changes and just add a dechlorinator. The cycle will take around 6 weeks with three guppies.
MichaelOverHere
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.19(Sun)9:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm yes after reading a very long post on fish less cycling it appears I've been mis-informed by the shop assistant on a number of things, unfortunately its the only fish shop (relatively) near me (still about 20 mile drive) which is why I've came on the web to this forum.
 Forum Index > Introduction to this Community All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: