Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
My first big tank
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.02.15(Wed)12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corbanistan wrote:
48 inch dual tube fluorescent light

T5's? NO or HO?
Corbanistan
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.15(Wed)16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes to the t-5's not sure on the other part but if it makes a difference, I am debating having a goby or two I with the catfish/plecos/cories
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.16(Thu)17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on what plecos you decide on, some get big and are very dirty fish. Lots of pooh. Then you would be better off with a canister type filter. A sunsun as recomended earlier are good and inexpensive. Should count on water in tank turnover should be around 4 times volume per hour. For a 55 gallon tank you would need a filter with a turnover gph/lph of 220 gph. HOB filters would need to be more like 10 times the volume. Don't know what your filters are rated at, but mine were rated for a 30-60 gallon tank was 330 gph each. Cannisters are really the best way to go for a large tank of 55 gallons or larger. And they are a lot less maintenance too.

Last edited by jacki.r3 on 2012.02.17(Fri)13:31; edited 1 time in total
Corbanistan
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.16(Thu)21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

plecos I will mostly stick with bristlenose and possibly rubberlip, I plan to have mostly small to medium sized fish, at most probably 10 to 14 cm
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.02.17(Fri)12:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corbanistan wrote:
yes to the t-5's not sure on the other part but if it makes a difference, I am debating having a goby or two I with the catfish/plecos/cories

T5's come in HO (high output) and NO (normal output) and it make s huge difference in the algae you might experiance.

Since you are not going to co2, I would stick with the NO unless you are planning on raising the light fixture at least 3-4 in.

I once had a 55 with the dual 54w HO T5s and fought green water and BBA. That was until I installed co2, and raised the fixture some.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: