Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Breeding peppermints
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.02.01(Wed)17:05    Post subject: Breeding peppermints Reply with quote

So everything is finally pretty much set up to start breeding peppermint bristlenoses, and I'm getting closer to tracking down the actual fish I will buy too - most likely 1 male and 2 female adults (depending on what I can get my hands on).
My tap water is pretty good too:
pH 7.6
GH 80ppm
KH 40ppm

Just have a few questions...

Do you guys have any recommendations for the conditioning time? E.g. foods, water conditions...

Also there's a chance the peps will still have some growing to do when I get them (but this will apply to the fry anyway), so I want them to be growing at a decent rate - any tips? Obviously keep up the water changes (I'm thinking at least 2 per week), but what about food? I figure high protein foods will produce good growth, but its a bit hard with fish like these Laughing might keep the temperature fairly high too. I don't want to sacrifice quality/lifespan for increased growth though...just enough to keep them growing nicely.

Thanks a bunch Smile
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.02.01(Wed)17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I breed regular bristlenoses & used to breed zebras - the conditions needed are very different. Where are your fish sourced?
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.02.02(Thu)1:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
I breed regular bristlenoses & used to breed zebras - the conditions needed are very different. Where are your fish sourced?

My understanding is that the regular bristlenoses and the peppermints require similar conditions. I haven't decided on where I'm getting the fish.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.02.02(Thu)3:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant which river system - what are their natural conditions? Wink

Regular bristlenoses breed like rabbits. The Zebras needed simulated floods to get them in the mood.
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.02.02(Thu)3:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh right! Well apparently the peps in Australia are all mostly a hybrid of other L numbers - of which no one really seems to know for sure.

From reading other peoples past experiences, seems that creating a strong current at breeding time is the way to do it.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: