Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Disaster!! Need Help !
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
xellos
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.12.30(Fri)7:15    Post subject: Disaster!! Need Help ! Reply with quote

I have a huge Aponogeton Ulvaceus , its about 1 meter tall !! I had this accident where my filter pump ( RS-18 bottom pump) got knocked off and somehow sucked my base layer of substrate ( red clay ) and blew it all on the tank !!!! after having 2 days of red water in my aquarium I waited till it was clear and found that the Aponogeton leaves are all red because of the clay deposit !!
I tried dusting them off using waving movements of my hand but they are stuck and I guess its too risky to scrape them off since the Aponogeton has very thin leaves that could tear .
any advice guyz ? will the plant die because of all the deposits on the leaves ?
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.12.30(Fri)21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any algae eating fish or inverts e.g. snails in the tank? They'll probably clear it off if you do.

Might just have to gently rub it away with your fingers or a cloth/sponge if you're worried.
rsnsani
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.01.30(Mon)15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Xellos,

I think unissuh has a good idea of using a sponge.
This may sound radical or unorthodox but you could also remove the outer leaves to promote the growth of new ones. Once you get couple of new leaves, you should not worry too much what will happen with the rest - you'll just gradually remove them same way.
Hope it helps,
Ruslan
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: