Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Pressurized CO2 - Why can't I figure it out?
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.01.18(Wed)21:01    Post subject: Pressurized CO2 - Why can't I figure it out? Reply with quote

I think I'm going to go ahead and get a pressurized CO2 system for my tank. I was originally thinking of this one:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=23680 (the 88 kit).

I was told on the planted tank forum that I would spend a fortune on CO2 cartridges... with my lighting (78w T5 HO) I'd be changing the cartridge every other week or so.

For some reason, I just can't wrap my mind around a DIY pressurized system and I need it to be small enough so I can fit it under my stand. The tank is only a 26-29g flat back hex. I've been looking for something ready made.

I'm looking at the following regulator: http://www.ebay.com/itm/230732857695?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_2587wt_1037

The tank is filtered with an Eheim Classic 2215 and I know there's some way I can diffuse the CO2 through the canister filter.. I'm just not sure exactly how. I believe I need an "inline reactor," any recommendations? Is this what I need: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=24117

Someone recommended this in another person's thread about Pressurized CO2: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sponsors-power-seller-specials/135909-brass-bubble-counters-jbj-style-back.html Is that something I'd need?

Obviously I also need airline tubing (any specific kind?) and a tank... I'm going to check locally to see if I can buy a cheap 5g tank.

Anything else I need?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
rsnsani
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.01.30(Mon)15:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I have this http://www.milwaukeeinstruments.com/co2regulator.html attached to an aluminum pressurized cylinder and it has worked great for me.
You do need the solenoid unless you have the light on 24 hrs (which I would not do personally).
I have both the lights and the CO2 system hooked up with the same timer. When lights go off, so does the CO2 supply. Otherwise CO2 will build up in dark since plants will not consume it without the light. This will lower the pH and can also choke the fish.
Hope it helps.
Ruslan
Arctic
Members

PostPosted: 2012.02.12(Sun)15:22    Post subject: Pressurized CO2 Systems Reply with quote

Hi Nikelodeon79,

I ordered the CHOICE CO2 system from Green Leaf Aquariums yesterday http://greenleafaquariums.com/co2-systems.html

Someone from Green Leaf Aquarium also posted this youtube video demonstrating how to set up a pressurized system:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKd31YTURbs

With regards to the 5G CO2 tank, you might be able to buy one at a brewing shop (useful for kegerators or just kegs Surprised ).

I hope this helps a little bit!
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.02.14(Tue)11:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, what size is the tank? Sorry if I missed it.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.02.14(Tue)15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a 26g flat back hex. Dimensions are here: http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=53216&highlight=hex
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.02.15(Wed)16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

26g is fine for DIY (diffuser - could be the glass nano on ebay) the issue you need to make sure you keep an eye on is consistancy, you will also need a Drop Checker with calibrated 4dKh solution.

DIY is possible in this size. Or even the DYI paintball system, which is a little easier.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.02.17(Fri)13:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ordered a drop checker. I was running DIY on this tank but the fish were very stressed. As soon as the CO2 started running low, they started to perk up and they're fine now that it's gone. Obviously, something was wrong.

I was using a bubble ladder to diffuse the CO2. I have since ordered and received an Ista Mix Max inline diffuser to add to my Eheim 2215 http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=24117 I am being told on Tom Barr's site that I should modify one of my Duetto filters to diffuse the CO2 instead, and turn off the Duetto at night: Link on modifying the Duetto: http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/6231-DIY-CO2-reactor-surface-skimmer?p=40663#post40663

I have not opened the Ista yet, but am kind of bummed at the thought of sending it back. Do you feel the Ista would be a good option, or should I go with the Duetto?

I believe I do not have enough surface agitation. The Eheim creates a fair bit of current, but not much surface agitation because the spraybar is pretty low in the water. I have been running an airstone whenever the lights are off, but apparently that wasn't enough. I need to somehow create more surface agitation/water movement. A powerhead has been suggested, but with how much current the Eheim creates, I don't want to blow my fish around the tank.

I believe a huge part of my issues is that my water runs through a water softener, which (if I'm understanding it correctly) replaces all the calcium ions with sodium ions. In other words, it takes something that is good for my aquarium and replaces it with something that is bad for my aquarium (in large quantities, at least). We're going to be attempting to set up a system to bypass the water softener this weekend.

I am also going to raise the light fixture up to about 28" above the substrate this weekend, as I'm currently growing an algae garden with that much wattage of T5HO light.
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.02.17(Fri)15:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not raise the spraybar a little? Is that possible? What I do with mine from time to time is tilt the bar upwards so that there is enough (but not to much) surface aggitation.

As far as the diffuser goes Tom is by far more knowledgeable than myself and I would listen to him closely.
Honestly you must really be pumping some good co2 inorder to stress the fish and be concerned with surface movement.

Can the Eheim be dialed back some? With my Cascade I have a lever that controls the inlet and outlet, does Eheim?
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.02.17(Fri)15:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaleJr wrote:
Why not raise the spraybar a little? Is that possible? What I do with mine from time to time is tilt the bar upwards so that there is enough (but not to much) surface aggitation.

I thought about that but if I was going to use the Ista inline diffuser, I would want the spraybar a bit lower. I will probably just go with the modified Duetto, though and just raise the spraybar. I could probably just stick a thin strip of wood or something on the tank rim so it's raised up a bit higher. Otherwise, I'll see what happens if I tilt it up.

Quote:
As far as the diffuser goes Tom is by far more knowledgeable than myself and I would listen to him closely.

It's actually not Tom, but someone on his forum. They seem pretty knowledgeable, though.

Quote:
Honestly you must really be pumping some good co2 inorder to stress the fish and be concerned with surface movement.

I know... it confused me a lot. My tap pH is 7.6 and it dropped to 6.6 with CO2 injection (though my hubby said I'm color blind and it's actually 7.0). My KH is 4 so that would mean my CO2 would be at 30 which as I understand it is too much. If the pH is 7 like hubby thinks, it would be 12 which would be good, but since the fish were stressed (hid all of the time, swam around with their heads downward, were super pale in color), I suspect there was too much.

Quote:
Can the Eheim be dialed back some? With my Cascade I have a lever that controls the inlet and outlet, does Eheim?

Well... when I put it together I had trouble understanding the instructions (very detailed instructions in German, minimal instructions in English) and when all was said and done, the filter worked but there were extra parts. Those extra parts turned out to be the flow adjusters, which I now know how to add on (they simply go on the intake/output hoses like inline heaters/diffusers). So, yes, I can adjust the flow of the Eheim and will probably add the flow adjusters on this weekend as well.
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.02.20(Mon)11:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="nikelodeon79
My KH is 4 so that would mean my CO2 would be at 30 which as I understand it is too much. If the pH is 7 like hubby thinks, it would be 12 which would be good, but since the fish were stressed (hid all of the time, swam around with their heads downward, were super pale in color), I suspect there was too much.
[/quote]

30 is Ideal, 32 is better.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: