Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Larger than ich 'white spot' on otocinclus
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
ilikepotatoes
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.01.23(Mon)18:33    Post subject: Larger than ich 'white spot' on otocinclus Reply with quote

Hi,

I just got 2 new otos in my freshwater community tank. They've been doing fine for a couple weeks, but one of them suddenly got a white spot at the base of its fin.

It is larger and definitely doesn't look like ich. Can anybody identify the spot and what it is?

Here is a picture,

There is a spot right at the base of the fin where the arrow is pointing.
It's the clearest picture I could get of the little guy.
ncanavan
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.01.28(Sat)13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I'm impressed that you even noticed that. It's been a few days - is it bigger now? I have no explanation for it, and I've kept ottos for several years. Fish do get tumors, so that's one possibility I suppose. Not ich, of course.
ilikepotatoes
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.01.29(Sun)22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for responding. It actually has not progressed in any way at all. The spot is still in the same area and is sill the same size.

I had thought it was fungus after a couple days, but after trying to brush it off, I have no idea what it is. It was hard and almost callus-like.

I love otos and would like to see him live. He seems to be doing fine.. Full belly and all. I'm hoping it will go away, but I'm up for suggestions!
UncleWillie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.01.30(Mon)8:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there not an identical bump on the other side of the fish? The bumps appear to be at the base of the pectoral fins, which almost makes me think that it is not a parasite at all. Your fish's fins are clamped mighty tight (a sign of stress) and that bump almost just looks like the base of the fin joint. Sorry that I can't help you further.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: