Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Need advice for rock decorations in 55 gal tank
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
sammybelle
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.01.12(Thu)13:06    Post subject: Need advice for rock decorations in 55 gal tank Reply with quote

I'm sure my newbieness will become apparent in this question, but anyways...

I'm in planning stages of setting up a new 55 gal tank. I've found several rocks I'd like to use. I know they're not limestone so they're OK to use from that standpoint. But several of them have significant veins/areas of rust which actually contributes to their beauty. I'm assuming these rusty areas are iron (or could it be something else?) so I don't know if these are safe to use in the tank. Any thoughts on this?

Also, just exactly how much weight can the poor bottom of a 55 gal (or any) tank sustain? With the weight of the substrate, water, stones, etc. it must add up to some hefty weight. Are there any 'safe" limits I should pay attention to?

Thanks so much in advance.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.01.13(Fri)4:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weight is not a problem - shock is. You can stand on a glass coffee table but it will break if a wine bottle slips and drops onto it.
A small knock as you move a rock can break a tank so tanks that are intended to have a lot of rocks or large rocks are generally sat upon polystyrene & then have eggcrate - a plastic grid - placed inside to help prevent this.
Do you have any idea what the rocks are?
Red marks on slate are OK but iron ore is not. You could try power washing them and if the marks go pop them in a bucket of water for a week. If the red returns I wouldn't use them.

BTW limestone can be OK in aquaria. If you have hard tapwater it won't affect the chemistry and if you want to keep hard water fish it can be beneficial but I agree it isn't good for most situations.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: