Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
I'll be the first to admit it, I've been a terrible fish mom
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
emberzz
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.01.11(Wed)2:34    Post subject: I'll be the first to admit it, I've been a terrible fish mom Reply with quote

I'm a terrible person....

May 2010 I set up a tank. No, I filled a 29gal tank and put a ton of fish in it the same day. I quickly forgot about it due to the fact I was NEVER home. So last night I went to clean it out and store it away but guess what I discovered! I still had a fish alive. I don't know how my little platy survived but he did. I cleaned the entire tank and decided to start from scratch. I put him in a 10gal filled with water from the 29gal. I want to do this again but the right way.

I've read up on everything and have a basic understanding on what I need to do but I have a very silly question. My platy has been in the same water for almost 2 years would putting him in fresh water hurt him? I was planning on doing small water changes every week in the 10gal to introduce him to new water. Is that needed or should I get him the hell out of that water. He was my favorite fish when I bought everyone. I'm so happy he's alive and don't want to lose him. HELP ME!

And any advice for a newbie would be great!
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.01.11(Wed)2:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Transfer the filter media across too ASAP - this is what keeps the tank healthy, not just the water.

To answer your question, yes, transition the fish into new water slowly...they can go into shock from having fresh water after living in substandard conditions for a while.

Also, welcome back to the hobby. Very Happy
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: