Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Fresh water Tank- Co2 equipment- catastrophe
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Revvy
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.01.05(Thu)23:05    Post subject: Fresh water Tank- Co2 equipment- catastrophe Reply with quote

I bought a paintball Co2 kit.
It came with:
Regulator
Solenoid Valve
check valve
Co2 Hose
bubble counter
Co2 indicator.

I started off with 3 bubbles a second and I noticed it increase with in the next few days. I had to adjust the regulator to keep it at the level I wanted.

I was away for business the last couple of days and I came home today to an empty Co2 tank (tank was just filled on the 31 of Dec) and lost my algae eaters. Sad The tank emptied and there wasn't enough oxygen in the aquarium...killed my fishes..
I should have turned it off before I went away......I feel so frustrated at what happened and with the Co2 kit.

Is this a normal thing with these paint ball Co2 kits....you need to constaly adjust the regulator?

Would a real C02 kit (non paintball) work better?

Please advice..
RadicalFanatical
New Members

PostPosted: 2012.03.31(Sat)18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

What brand is it? My guess is it was probably the regulator or check valve... a good co2 kit should cost around 200 -250$(canadian) (for co2 I usually have mine set around a bubble per second.) I would strongly consider buying a proper good quality regulator/check valave that is made for fish tanks that part I wouldn't skimp on for sure. I'd also stay away from the cheep little set ups for co2 that fluval just came out with those are crap. Sorry to hear that it killed all of your fishies Sad that sucks. I would definitely consider buying a proper system made for a fish tank, I know that a lot of the cheeper co2 systems for fish tanks can have the same result as you just had, like I said a good one usually cost about 200$
Darkblade48
Advisors

PostPosted: 2012.03.31(Sat)21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowhere in your setup do I see that your setup has a needle valve. How are you making the finer adjustments? Using the regulator to adjust the delivery pressure alone will not suffice.

Is your regulator dual gauge? Your delivery pressure should be set to about 30 PSI and left there, and any other adjustments to the flow should be done using the needle valve.

Both a "normal" pressurized CO2 setup and a paintball sized CO2 setup will work fine, provided you have the proper equipment and it is set up properly.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: