Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Stocking suggestions for a 10 Gallon
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Conor.Barry
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.12.21(Wed)0:04    Post subject: Stocking suggestions for a 10 Gallon Reply with quote

So I know this tank isnt very big but currently its all I have room for. I'm just getting back into the hobby after a 4 year hiatus. I have forgotten some of the information so I am open to suggestions. I have around 4 years of experience so I'm not a complete beginner (but pretty close compared to some people here) I'm looking for some ideas for stocking my new 10 gallon. I want to have a heavily planted tank with a few fish. I really like the amazon theme plus it compliments my water conditions. I like cardinal tetras and dwarf cichlids quite a bit.

Here are some stocking themes I thought of. Please let me know if they sound like a bad idea. I would rather know now than later down the road once I actually have the fish.

Plan A
6-8 Cardinal tetras
2 dwarf cichlids (pair) - possibly rams or cockatoos
3 amano shrimp
possibly 3 pygmy cories

Plan B
6-8 Cardinal tetras
5 hatchets
3 amano shrimp
possibly 3 pygmy cories

I plan to do plenty of water changes, maybe even two, 45-50% changes a week. I also have a penguin filter rated for 150 GPH. I know this doesn't mean I can overstock my tank but I think it does allow for a few more fish. Any suggestions or ideas?
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.12.21(Wed)3:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither scheme would work. In a 20 gallon maybe but not in a ten.

You could have neons instead of cardinals and have shrimp too but no dwarf cichlids or hatchets.
Pygmy cories are true shoalers so three is not enough and the tank is too small for more with a shoal of tetras too.

Oversized filters don't add to the space.
Conor.Barry
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.12.21(Wed)9:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Thats kind of what I was thinking. I will probably just stick to a some neons or cardinals and call it good.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: