Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Budding Hobbyist joining the crowd!
 Forum Index > Introduction to this Community  Reply to topic   Post new topic
NDarmyBoy
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.12.02(Fri)0:00    Post subject: Budding Hobbyist joining the crowd! Reply with quote

Hello Everyone.

I am fairly new to the aquarium world, but I have always enjoyed staring at them. I wanted to stop by here and let everyone know a little about myself.
I am 26 yo military man, currently deployed.

I have a 55gal long aquarium that prior to leaving I had stocked with simple tropicals (angelfish, tetras, catfish, and a couple other smaller ones for visuals) My wife did not want to keep the tank up while I was gone, so sadly the fish had to go. The set up included neutral colored rock bed, over-sized BioWheel filter and teh obligatory air bubble waterfall deco piece.

When I return home I am hoping to set up a cool looking Cichlid tank most likely, due to I am WAY to new to drop the money on Salt Water.

I look forward to perusing these forums and gleaning all the awesome information contained therein!
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.12.13(Tue)12:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! Are you looking to get into African cichlids (mbuna, perhaps?). They're really fun fish.

Definitely do a sand substrate with tons of rockwork to make caves for them to go in and out of (caves with more than one entrance are ideal). They'll eat most live plants, so you might have better luck with plastic plants. I'd highly recommend a canister filter, as these guys appreciate current and are messy fish. Having a bubbler/bubble wand can be great for water movement, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
 Forum Index > Introduction to this Community All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: