Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Possibly adding Oto's
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
jarnhestur
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.12.02(Fri)18:57    Post subject: Possibly adding Oto's Reply with quote

I have a 40g tank with 4 angels (3.5", only about a year old) and 6 cherry barbs. After a recent apondectimy and missed water changes, I've got a good bit of algae. I've cleaned it up a bit, but it keeps coming back. Instead of pulling out all the decor, would it be possible to add 3 oto's?

The angels ignore the cherry barbs so I'm not worried about compatibility as much as what my stocking level is when everything is fully grown. These are my first angels so I'm not sure how big they'll get.

Water parameters are good, 0, 0, under 20. pH is 7.2-7.4.

Thanks!
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.12.04(Sun)4:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get a bristlenose instead of ottos.

These eat more green algae.
Zelgadis
Members

PostPosted: 2011.12.12(Mon)11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 otos and a whole lot of red cherry shrimp and malaysian trumpet snails keeping my 14 gallon tank algae free.

I picked the RCS for their appetite for dead plant matter but they tend to eat most live plants just as readily. You probably don't need or want them though.

Otos are some of the smallest catfish out there and shouldn't threaten your angels or anything else. With the size of your tank, I'd be tempted to try a Siamese Algae Eater. That said, a pleco is probably fine too.

I keep the snails because they keep my gravel clean. They're something else you could consider.

For more to choose from, check this article http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_algae_eaters.php
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.12.13(Tue)12:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not add otos to this setup, as you have a lot of fish in there. Otos are very sensitive to water conditions and it would be difficult to maintain the type of environment they need to survive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: