Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Fluval spec nao aquarium
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Deano37
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.07.15(Fri)5:03    Post subject: Fluval spec nao aquarium Reply with quote

Hi all this is my first post in a while been wanting a large Fluval tank like a studio or something similar but I don't have the funds yet so I have purchased a lovely little fluval spec 7.6l tank, I liked the smart look of the tank and I have also purchased a small heater for it , I am planning of growing plants and maybe having a betta fish in there as I have seen many people with this set up, I am new to this hobby so this will be my first aquarium, I have bought some fluval stratum substrate for the plants, anyway I have a few questions I am going to lay the substrate after rinsing it and put some wood in there and need advice on some plants to put in there, don't think light is very good so low light plants would be better most likely ? also I am going to buy a water test kit but around how long should it take to cycle ?

anyother ideas or idvice would be great
Thanks Dean Smile
KhiaraFish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.07.18(Mon)14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum! First of all, I would check out these articles on cycling -

http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ciclo.php

http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_fishless.php

So thats all about how to cycle a tank, and then I would also go and read the other articles in the "Introductory Fishkeeping" section of the articles page to the left.

My fish mugged me and stole my wallet!
freshigal
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2011.07.19(Tue)16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

For plants you have some nice low-light options. A smaller Anubias would go well. I have an Anubias nana in my 5 gallon that has looked good for years with minimal lighting.

You mentioned putting in wood. Another option is Java moss. You can attach it to the wood with black thread and then eventually it will attach itself. Sometimes algae can show up, but if you don't have a lot of sunlight hitting the tank it will not be as big a problem.

A final recommendation would be Java fern. It also does well in low-light situations and can serve as a background plant. It's also very tough. Usually you need to attach it to something like wood for it to develop roots, but mine has also rooted in the Flourite substrate.
Deano37
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.12.08(Thu)14:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a lot for help, any idea were to purchase a 2nd light the same as I have seen lots of people that have this tank have 2 lights ? also any stocking ideas maybe a betta tank or what

thanks Dean
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: