Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
From Corals to Plants
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Iasc-keeper
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.11.04(Fri)14:18    Post subject: From Corals to Plants Reply with quote

Hi guys,

It has literally been so long since I've visited the site. Only for good reasons, I gathered so much information of fthis site to the extent I successfully kept a Marine tank for the previous four years, with of course the many ups and downs along the way.
Sadly I've had to face facts, the recession has had its toll. I am fully aware of the expense of keeping marines and having just moved to university, I simply can't afford to keep it going.

However there is no way I could give up the hobby, so I'm switching the tank to freshwater, preferably planted. Although high-spec tanks can still be pricey, it's not my goal and also the Marines have nullified my shock reaction to the price tags.

Basically have a 180 litre tank, it think thats about 30 gallon, maybe a bit more?

I want an Amazonian themed tank. So does anyone recommend any particular substrate for plants?
Is there a substrate that lends the water to more acidic pH?
Any tough plants that will withstand the immature tank?

I have been browsing online, and liquid ferts seem to be expensive enough. Would you say they are the key to a planted tank or a bonus?

Thanks guys!
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.11.14(Mon)12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you're probably wanting to maintain low to medium plants I would look into "Dirting" the tank.

Using Organic Miracle grow as a substrate and capping with a fine product (ie playsand, PFS, sand blasting sand or fine gravel) Be careful with your lighting choice because that's what throws systems into algae prevention mode. I would look into T5No (or HE) dual lighting.

You want to probably look into dry ferts depending on where you are located, and shipping cost. I use PMDD which cost 10$ a pound and makes 2 GALLONS of liq ferts.
flute
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.11.25(Fri)23:42    Post subject: Plants for scale Reply with quote

Many species of aquatic plant are invasive species. Aquatic plants make particularly good weeds because they reproduce vegetatively from fragments.

Exotic plant nursery
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: