Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Yet another power outage!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
lisam
Members

PostPosted: 2011.11.17(Thu)20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually did end up losing 2 otos from my 30 gal community tank. I didn't worry when I couldn't find one of them the first few days after the power was back on - in a heavily planted tank that's not very suprising. However, I spotted a newly dead oto a few days ago and now I can only count 2 when I search (there were 4 originally), so I'm pretty sure that a second one must have died & been eaten during the outage itself. I'm assuming that their issue was more with the stress of the cooler temps & 7 days in the dark, as this tank never had any measurable ammonia.

Overall, I never ended up with any water quality issues once the power came back on - no ammonia or nitrite spike at all once the filters were back up & running. The cherry barb that was looking odd is back to normal as well. Go figure! Smile
jacki.r3
Members

PostPosted: 2012.05.11(Fri)20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

My power was out for only 1 1/2 days. I lost no fish and water parameters are 0 nitrites and ammonia. I too removed filter media into a bucket of tank water. I was told to get those packaged hand/foot warmers. The kind you shake to activate. they get up to 130 deg F. I put them in plastic containers and floated them in my 10 and 20 gallons tanks and in bucket with media. They kept temps up in the normal range. I did wrap tanks to hold in heat. used battery aeration and stopped feeding. when power came back on I tested everyday for 10 days. No spike and all fish survived. Those little hand/foot warmers were a good investment.I keep quite a supply on hand. Glad to hear most of you did very well with few casualties.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: