Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
200L Community Evolution
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
MikeC90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.10.19(Wed)2:42    Post subject: 200L Community Evolution Reply with quote

Thought I would share the recent history of my 200L tank, now 18 months or so in.

Had the tank since I was a kid, and it's had everything Malawi cichlids to otto over the years... Anyhow, I decided to set the tank up 'properly' from the beginning, using ADA substrate, getting some good external canister filters, lighting etc. I really wanted a well planted tank, something I hadn't been able to achieve that well before Razz

So the bare bones!

My fish had to take a short holiday in a 2ft tank, but were re-introduced to a still slightly murky new home... The tank wasn't fully cycled, but the filter was transferred straight across to kickstart things. Judging by how RED the rummy noses are looking and that no fish were lost, I would call it a success. I did do plenty of water changes and monitoring in the 1st week and a bit to keep everything safe though!

A month or so in and I began to get some pretty serious algae issues (blue-green algae) unfortunately Sad I tried everything from adding floating plants, to reduced light, to removing it by hand for about a year with no success....

The algae didn't have any real affect on the plants or fish, with both doing well over time. Plenty of growth of all amazon swords, including the foreground cover (which is overgrown IMO)

I did sadly lose my female angel fish in that time Sad The bright side of that was the introduction of Suzy! I went to my LFS a week or so after looking for a replacement and it just so happened this girl had been dropped off by someone who didn't want her anymore... I decided to tank a gamble on a '2nd hand' fish, only to see her take a dive on to shop floor while being bagged!! I was offered the choice of not taking her, but opted to give her a shot all the same... And here she is 6 months later! Very Happy

So finally after so long struggling with algae I decided to try and UV steriliser, realising they aren't strictly for killing algae, but it was my last option! To my delight and surprise it HAS in fact worked! My blue-green algae is now 99% gone after 3 or so months. It could simply be a coincidence, but a pretty big one if so... So now it is crystal clear, leaves are no longer weighed down by gunk Smile

Few shots of some other tank mates...

Hatchetfish enjoying there 'iceberg' during summer

And one of my bolivian rams, who is going on 5 Smile He is not as colourful these days, as he isn't 'top dog' anymore, but still a lovely fish Smile

Anyhow, sorry for so many pics! Hope they made for some OK viewing though Smile
Indiaqualover
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.10.19(Wed)5:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice pictures Mike and an awesome tank. I'm working on a similar tank now for live bearers with Amazon Sword, Crypts and Rotolas. I want to come up with something similar to the forest you have in there Very Happy . Great work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
UncleWillie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.10.19(Wed)7:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! Your tank looks great, Mike. Glad to see those algae issues are finally disappearing. Absolutely stunning.
MikeC90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.10.20(Thu)17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indiaqualover wrote:
Very nice pictures Mike and an awesome tank. I'm working on a similar tank now for live bearers with Amazon Sword, Crypts and Rotolas. I want to come up with something similar to the forest you have in there Very Happy . Great work.

Ta Smile I think at some point I might look at thinning out and reducing the height of the sword grass, getting a tad overgrown Razz The fish do like cruising through it though Smile

Good luck with yours!

Indeed Uncle Willie, after 14 months of spending over an hour a week pulling out chunks of blue-hreen algae I was pretty stoked to see it finally admitting defeat! Very Happy

On a side note, of the following fish, who is most likely to lay eggs on the glass?

- angels
- rummynose
- bronze corydoras
- khuli loach
- otto

The eggs are about 1mm across, white, tightly packed together, and usually there are 3 or 4 lots of them around the tank in one hit... Always at night too Razz

Obviously in there they all get eaten quite quickly, I'm just interested to know who they belong to...

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
keithkyli
Members

PostPosted: 2011.10.20(Thu)22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeC90 wrote:

On a side note, of the following fish, who is most likely to lay eggs on the glass?

- angels
- rummynose
- bronze corydoras
- khuli loach
- otto

I guess they are cory eggs. Among your tankmates angels and corys are the most likely to lay eggs on vertical surfaces, but angels would prefer the sword plants first. A single pair won't lay several clutches at a time. Rummynoses lay eggs in plants. Khuli loach and otos - I don't guess so. Nice lovely awesome fantastic tank, and fish! Razz
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.10.21(Fri)0:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like cory eggs to me too. Otocinclus eggs look pretty similar, so that is another possibility, but is much less common than cory spawns.
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: