Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Identify this placo species..?
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
mariefish
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.10.11(Tue)12:51    Post subject: Identify this placo species..? Reply with quote

(I know shady blackberry picture)

I definitely made my first mistake buy not getting the complete name of this placo when I bought it the other day... But I was in a tad rush and I wanted a bottom feeder.
Anyways long story short, I came to find out today that it does look like a common pleco & could get up to about 10 inches. I only have a 10 gallon tank so naturally I'll have to find a new home for him thats comfortable.

But at the fish speciality store that lady did positivley say that it would only get up to about 3 inches or so & would be fine for my tank.

So my question is, can anyone help me in trying to properly identify this pleco? If if you can, is it safe for my 10 gallon tank.

Thanks Smile
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.10.11(Tue)13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell from your photo but even the smallest species will not fit in your already overstocked 10 gallon tank.
Please return it.
mariefish
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.10.11(Tue)17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well according to my local speciality fish store, it isn't overstocked. But I do not plan on getting anymore for this 10 gallon.

I did find out the species however, it is a bristlenose.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.10.12(Wed)1:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

mariefish wrote:
Well according to my local speciality fish store, it isn't overstocked. But I do not plan on getting anymore for this 10 gallon.

Your stocking is;-
Quote:
10 Gallon: 1 Dwarf Gourami 3 Cherry Barbs 2 Serpae Tetra 1 Pleco

Which is poor for a 10 gallon - the dwarf gouramis & cherry barbs are OK but serpaes need a larger group in a larger tank and a bristlenose needs at least 15 gallons by itself.

Dwarf gouramis are usually near adult size when sold but serpaes are sold as young fish and grow almost as long. Bristlenoses can reach 5 inches.

A store that would sell two serpaes is not to be trusted.
mariefish
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.10.14(Fri)12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
mariefish wrote:

Your stocking is;-
Quote:
10 Gallon: 1 Dwarf Gourami 3 Cherry Barbs 2 Serpae Tetra 1 Pleco

Which is poor for a 10 gallon - the dwarf gouramis & cherry barbs are OK but serpaes need a larger group in a larger tank and a bristlenose needs at least 15 gallons by itself.

Dwarf gouramis are usually near adult size when sold but serpaes are sold as young fish and grow almost as long. Bristlenoses can reach 5 inches.

A store that would sell two serpaes is not to be trusted.

Thank you for posting your opinion! I very much appreciate the extra advice. The only thing I find is that no matter who you talk to they all have different advice on fish and how much is too much.
I think for now I am going to keep my tank the way it is. But when I do plan on getting more fish, I will get a much bigger tank.
kimura
Regulars

PostPosted: 2012.03.01(Thu)11:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is most likely a rubber nosed/lipped pleco. That species looks similar to what is sold at petsmart.

You will find many opinions on what proper stocking is. I overfilter my
tanks and used to overstock them. I thought long as I keep up on maintenace I would be OK. BUT after 2 years or so when you arent as into your fish as you are now you may neglect that maintenace and it causes a problem.

Also what happens when your power goes out for 4 hours and crashes your
filter bacteria? Higher stocking levels compound the problem. Just because you can stock more doesn't mean you should. Eventually it will catch up to you when you least expect it.

I don't necessarily think you are overstocked but the teras do like larger groups and unfortuantely I wouldnt add any more to that tank.

People in fish stores can either be really helpful or just some kid bagging fish.

This site is pretty good with a lot of caring and experienced fish ownwers
but I would always suggest getting information from at least 3 sources.
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: