Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
power outage
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
lisam
Members

PostPosted: 2011.08.28(Sun)15:53    Post subject: power outage Reply with quote

Just got our power back after about 10 hours without - how bad is this likely to be for the bacteria in my filters? I used battery operated aerators in the tanks to keep oxygen levels up during the outage, and I floated the filter media in the tanks with HOB filters, but there was no way that I was messing around with the canister filter in the dark.

My plan is to check ammonia & nitrite levels tonight & tomorrow morning - if things look good by then, do you think I'm out of the woods?

Thanks!
Lisa
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.08.29(Mon)3:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

The HOB filters should be fine. The canister could be a problem and I would have set it up on a bucket of dechlorinated water before switching it back on in the tank.
There will have been some bacterial die off so a media rinse in tank water ASAP is a good idea.
Expect an ammonia spike and be ready with water changes. This is one time that zeolite has a use.
lisam
Members

PostPosted: 2011.08.30(Tue)7:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, so far so good - ammonia & nitrites still at zero in all 4 tanks. I've been holding off on feeding, but will give a light feeding this morning. Do you think enough time has passed that I should be OK, or should I keep up the twice a day testing?
lisam
Members

PostPosted: 2011.09.03(Sat)5:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, almost a week later & no ammonia spike. No fish or shrimp deaths (although the leaves of a few crypts melted - maybe just a coincidence?). Even the tank with the canister filter had no issues. I'm going to count myself lucky & move on. However, I am going to look into some battery backup systems that can power the filters & heaters before winter hits! Smile
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: