Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Sponges for my first tank..And about live rock...
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Untapped
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.08.25(Thu)15:41    Post subject: Sponges for my first tank..And about live rock... Reply with quote

I am loving this! I like taking things slow and being able to weed out and narrow down the options for my new tank.

Have a 30 gal tall that is finishing up its cycling process. I have been assured by the 2 shop owners I buy from that sponges can live without light...Lighting is to be my next big investment.

But, as I am taking things slowly, I am not too concerned with what I have to wait on, and with my tank being a deep one I know that I may experience some issues with corals, so I'm thinking of building a shelf/piazza in the future.

First sign of life: I have millipede-like wormy guys in white tubes, and crawling around on the live rock, they have these crazy red mops on their heads, that they like to stick out into the current, but they are shy, they withdrew when I invaded with a flashlight the first time I saw them.

Tho I've been assured that they are great to have living on my rock, I can't find any info on 'em. Also the sand has a trail of almost mucus tubes that were concentrated in one corner, but haven't had any further developments... So, my question is - without lighting (anything worthy of being called lighting) what are my options on tank population...and also tank structure? ie pleasing compostions for a bare start up.

I am concerned that I may have already done damage to my live rock...I wasn't told all the nuances of its care, and the little coral trees I purchased at the same time, are now merely decoration...if there are links on the site for more detailed info, please lemme know.

Also, is it true that sponges won't be detrimentally affected by lack of light? I found some amazing sponges - a lightening tree, a great yellow puff ball guy, and some Dr. Seuss type spirals, my fear is that I'll inadvertently kill living creatures. I hate having things destroyed by ignorance - so I could use whatever feedback you guys can give. Thanks.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2011.08.29(Mon)20:36    Post subject: Re: Sponges for my first tank..And about live rock... Reply with quote

Untapped wrote:

I am concerned that I may have already done damage to my live rock...I wasn't told all the nuances of its care, and the little coral trees I purchased at the same time, are now merely decoration...if there are links on the site for more detailed info, please lemme know.

Knowledge and research will keep your live rock living.
The thing you want to encourage on your live rock is coralline algae
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: