Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Bala Shark with Burn
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Wantila
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.08.01(Mon)8:34    Post subject: Bala Shark with Burn Reply with quote

It looks like my Bala Shark has burnt itself on the heater as it has an open wound on its side.
He seems happy & is acting normal.
Does anyone know a good way to treat this.
Many Thanks
Ian
KhiaraFish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.08.01(Mon)13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the wound inflamed or does it seem to be getting infected? Right now I would just try to keep up your water conditions, where are they at? Maybe do a small daily water change, just maybe 10-15% and keep an eye on the Bala Shark. If it seems like the wound is getting worse then maybe I would consider setting up a quarantine tank with some Melafix or somesuch.

My fish mugged me and stole my wallet!
Wantila
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.08.01(Mon)13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for that.
The wound seems clean and he is not acting abnormal in any way, so as you suggest will keep watch and get him to hospital tank if things change.

Ian
Cinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.08.04(Thu)16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with KhiaraFish... keep a close watch on it for any signs of getting worse or infection.

Do water changes every day until it heals.
UncleWillie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.08.04(Thu)18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said, keep water quality up, and stress down. Secondary infections are often a result of stress (meaning weakened immune system and consequently, infection). If water changes make your fish seek cover, I would not suggest constant water changes. If they don't mind, then go ahead. I am also a big advocate for added some salt to the tank. Maybe I'm old school, but I would always recommend salting when something like this happens.

In fact, two weeks ago, my creek chub leaped in the back the tank - and scraped all the flesh off the top of its head on the edge of the glass cover. With good diet, good water quality, and a healthy dose of salt in the tank, he is still free from infection. Although I fear that the flesh will never grow back - oh well, it give him character for sure... Rolling Eyes
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: