Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Brazilian Pennywort Planting device
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
bignellm
Members

PostPosted: 2011.07.20(Wed)19:15    Post subject: Brazilian Pennywort Planting device Reply with quote

I think I have devised away to keep this thing rooted in my substrate. Everytime I have tried to root this thing, all three plants melt in exactly the same way. I root the air root node and about 4-7 days later I have 3 plants floating at the top, because the node the root was on died and melted away.
Here is what I devised:

I take a 2" X 4" piece of rough filter pad. I cut holes just big enough to push/force carefully a rooted node ball into. then on the other side I attach loosely a zip tie band to hold it there. I cut off the extra zip tie pieces off and lay it on the substrate with all three of my plants. Next I apply a thin layer of gravel from the substrate. Just enough to cover the filter media and hold the plant in place.

Now for the prediction, will this stay in place and not repeat the node melt it does each time? Will this work? I figure the air roots haven't been suffocated this way and hope it works. Anyway, I'm taking casual bets (no cash, just bragging rights) on this and open to any and all commentary.

http://www.aquahobby.com/garden/e_hleuco.php
Maura
Moderators

PostPosted: 2011.08.01(Mon)18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the lead weights that are used to bundle stem plants? If you use two and make them in the shape of bobby pins, you can put them loosely on either side of the root node, then you can gently push the "pins" into your substrate but leave the roots unburied. over time the roots will anchor on their own, and you can remove the lead "pins" if you're concerned about their look. This works for me, but I have Eco-Complete as a substrate, and it is much finer and lighter than gravel.
bignellm
Members

PostPosted: 2011.08.03(Wed)13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the good news, is it's worked. It worked very well and I just took my first trimmings off the plants to grow new nodes for sale at the the LFS later next week. Lead weights, they did come with those, but I just don't seem to like idea of lead in my water. Will try it in future though, if I buy more plants for my future 60-75 when I can afford to upgrade.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: