Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Cuttlebone
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
bignellm
Members

PostPosted: 2011.07.13(Wed)20:30    Post subject: Cuttlebone Reply with quote

I am looking for the most experienced advice on this subject. Basically, I want to make sure my water column stays just north of neutral into the hard category, since it's the pH level my friends enjoy most.

My invertebrates, 3-4 invited snails and tons of party crashers; have good growth and I want it to stay that way--cept the party crashers (but they will benefit anyway as they are lunch for Assassin).

I've researched online Google for many articles and forums on this subject. What they all have in common, is they don't agree with one another. Some say Cuttlebones are good for shell growth, while others state that death would be imminent for my snails. The rationale on instant death is a combo of bleaching on natural bones, copper in the ingredient list of artificial ones, and/or crushed coral works better.

So, I want to ask the most experienced person here. The ones who have actually used run of the mill cuttlebones sold in the pet store for birds. Will this product in either form (natural or artificial) help the calcium levels in my tank or kill all invertebrates off via metal or will it have no effect?

I have purchased one from my trusted pet store, however they have no experience using it with snails. They said they typically use a calcium pill.

As a side experiment, I boiled it 2X for 15 mins each and let dry to kill microbes and help get rid of the odor, which may have been bleach. I then put the bone in with some recently caught Pond Snails from my party crashers. It has thus been 5 hours as of now, the Party Crashers seem to be having a ball in the small tank. Tank is 2.5 gallons. The 3 snails have been zipping through the water, cross the bone, and back up other side; then repeats the pattern randomly.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.07.14(Thu)1:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cuttlebones are white naturally and should not smell. The ones I've picked up on beaches may smell of the sea and then this goes in days.
If you suspect bleach a strong dechlorinator solution is a good idea. Avoid the artificial bird blocks as these will polute the tank as will vacation feeder blocks.

What is the KH of your water?
bignellm
Members

PostPosted: 2011.07.14(Thu)6:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
Cuttlebones are white naturally and should not smell. The ones I've picked up on beaches may smell of the sea and then this goes in days.
If you suspect bleach a strong dechlorinator solution is a good idea. Avoid the artificial bird blocks as these will polute the tank as will vacation feeder blocks.

What is the KH of your water?

Upon boiling, the edges around this item browned slightly and it didn't have the same odor. My petshop sold it to me outta a mass cardboard box set up, so not prepackaged. I was thinking bleach, because a lot of sites said bleach is commonly used to whiten and disinfect. It's oval shaped, feels very light, has what appears to be growth ridges on both sides, and after boiling was softer in one spot. I want to conclude this thing is the natural variety. I've never seen one straight from the sea. I live inland and surrounded by natural freshwater lakes. The great lakes of Michigan.

I ran out of testing materials, so I have to get back to you later on the KH. Off to V.I. Pets for a freebie test on that. On a side note, no Pond Snail deaths in the experiment tank yet. 2 of the 3 are cruising around on the bone.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.07.14(Thu)8:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try google images for cuttlebone Laughing
bignellm
Members

PostPosted: 2011.07.14(Thu)13:22    Post subject: EGG ON FACE Reply with quote

OK, just got back from the local pet store. pH is 7.8-8.2, Alkalinity is 100ppm, Nitrate is 40ppm, and I learned a trick I should of known before starting. Egg is thick on my face...
Was buying a gravel vac (yes I didn't have one) asked how to use one and was promptly shown. Also gave me a short lecture on real water water changes. So, upon getting home, I did my first real change Embarassed Pretty much cause of my lack luster experience and loads of plants, I ended up with a 50% water change... and only did this to pull out and dilute my slight Ammonia and Nitrite levels. But the stuff coming out of gravel was pretty dirty Embarassed

Hoping since those pH levels were after a 25% change yesterday that my local water didn't wildly change pH... Keeping a close eye on the Oto's, as they're more sensitive than Platy. Thinking my Nerite didn't like it, it ran north outta the water... But Assassin and Apple are still running about on the bottom.

But back to the snails and hardness. I'm guessing with my pH at almost 8.2 and alkalinity at 100ppm, I probably do not even need calcium supplements. Question
bignellm
Members

PostPosted: 2011.07.14(Thu)13:25    Post subject: Platy Birth Inducement Reply with quote

Apparently a large water change is a good inducement for preggy platy to give birth. Shocked Just noticed 5 cruising around my Sword. All yellow, which means the big mamma popped and dumped her load during vacuum and change.

Also during vacuuming, I saw the Assassin's boneyard, Very Happy
I was starting to wonder if it was getting it's meals... It seemed to only cruise the glass and bypass every snail. I guess he likes drive ins, as all the dead were piled up in the fake log. He had a nice collection going. Couldn't help but suck em out, with the vac, couldn't be helped... but seemed he took in the last month well over 40.
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: