Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Hello from Michigan
 Forum Index > Introduction to this Community  Reply to topic   Post new topic
bignellm
Members

PostPosted: 2011.07.01(Fri)21:14    Post subject: Hello from Michigan Reply with quote

Very Happy Hello everyone. Sorry I skipped over the intro, before posting some stuff for advice. Embarassed

For all intents and purposes, I am an expert gardener and an amatuer aquarist. My experience with the hobby comes directly from my youth, with the standard goldfish and 10X too small typical starter tank/bowl. It's been over 20 years since that disaster and I/we (wife and I) have forcibly inherited a 16 gallon Aqueon bow front tank from my inlaws. Have set up the tank, have cycled it, (also about to go through a mini-cycle, thanks to a run in with approximately a tablespoon of milk Mad ) and have re-homed a 6" common Pleco.

I am hoping to do better with this tank, then I did at age 10...and so far it seems I am making some good choices. Tank is stocked with approx < 12 Platy, 1 Golden Apple Snail, 1 Assassin Snail, 2 Fry, and 2 Oto Cats.

Currently hoping tonight's possible eco-disaster doesn't claim any of the Oto or snails. Here's praying Embarassed
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.07.02(Sat)3:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Smile Sounds like you're off to a good start though! and you are definitely in the right place.
bignellm
Members

PostPosted: 2011.07.02(Sat)19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Seems the milk is of only minor consequence. Basically do a few small daily water changes. Some of the plants liked it though. The hyper fast growing weed variety have jumped 2" overnight. Surprised At this rate, I'll be capping a couple to make 2 more plants of Myrio Filgree. The Platy seem to like nibbling on it. They been cleaning the black gunk from the bottom last couple days. Plants look new now Wink They did look half dead at the store...so got them 3/4 off Cool

So far things have been going way better than when I was younger. Probably is mostly the choice of nearly indestructible fish varieties. Store said Platy could live in dirty toilets, so long as you remove them before flushing. A nice image to have put in my head for sure.
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.07.03(Sun)2:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah there are definitely worse things that could have entered your tank!

Ah well, if any fish is alive and well in your tank, you must be doing something right!
KhiaraFish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.07.03(Sun)11:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, it sounds like your doing a pretty good job so far!

My fish mugged me and stole my wallet!
 Forum Index > Introduction to this Community All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: