Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
jsuereth's 125G Build
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
jsuereth
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.06.24(Fri)18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, sorry for the long delay! I've been swamped with my side-job writing a book (It's a programming book for nerds, just google for suereth).

As far as the tank goes, I'm trying to fund the whole thing from royalties, and I'm still waiting on enough money for real lights. I tried natural sunlight for DSM, but tore that down recently. I now have the 55G sump in the garage with all my plants and fish until I find time to clean up the 125G and start over with lights this time Smile.

The unfortunate bit is I have to move everything out of the stand so I can attach my lights (planning to suspend them from conduit attached to the stand). My goal is to finish this book in the next 2 weeks and then hopefully I'll get my next royalty check to pay for some Oddysea lights (cheapest I've found).

For those who haven't had a 125G tank before, these suckers are HEAVY! DO *NOT* try to move yourself Smile. My poor brother-in-law must be sick of moving this thing around with me. Hopefully one last time before all is well.

As for what's in the sump, I have a Hydro V Sponge filter (rated for 125G) fed with an air pump, and a quiet one pond pump with sponge pre-filter. I have a bunch of filter floss that I plan to use for mechanical filtration. I also found out that the filter floss under the pond pump makes the thing dead silent. If only my air pump was this quiet, you'd never know it was running Smile

The plan, and let me know if you think this is silly, is to use one of those cheap walmart plastic shelving units. Drill holes in the top and run the return lines into it. The first shelve would have little holes drilled throughout and have the filter pad/floss on it. I have the shelving unit, but haven't had time to modify it.

I'm a bit concerned about algae in the sump, so I was thinking about (a) putting some RCS in there permanently or (b) getting an SAE or a few Otos and putting in a few terra cotta pots. Thoughts?

I'll post pictures of the sump tomorrow.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.06.25(Sat)2:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try shifting a 220g Laughing

Unless you are planning a planted sump just keep it in the dark and algae won't be a problem.
jsuereth
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.06.25(Sat)15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow yeah. My wife was already a bit shocked when she saw the 125, I can't imagine what would have happened if I showed up with a 220G! Maybe in a few years if I decide I have the time to raise some discus...

I took a picture of the 55G sump. It's holding some terra cotta pots with all the plants I salvaged, hopefully they'll recover while I wait to order the new lights for the 125G. The fish and shrimp I had in my old 10G are now in the sump as the 10G got shut down (I'm under a 1-active fish tank in the house rule Smile ). The fish and shrimp seem pretty happy with all the new space for them to play with, and hopefully this will keep the sponge filter cycled.

@diademhill - Thanks for the advice. I'm hoping to keep scuds (pre-shrimp that can be edible snacks for larger fish) in the 55g sump. I was thinking of putting some Java Fern or Java Moss down there for them with a small amount of light. Do you think that's necessary or do they just needs dried leaves and hiding places?

You'll see the left hand side has the pond pump and the right hand side has the sponge filter. The sponge will be moved where the plants are and the shelving unit with filter will be to the right of that. My goal is to make sure the shelving unit stays completely submersed so I can keep the whole thing silent. It won't be the prettiest thing in the world, but the idea is to hide the sump Smile

Hopefully, I'll have lighting/main tank updates in about a month. No guarantees, but thanks for all the help and advice![/img]
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.06.26(Sun)5:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, money - always such a constraint for all these brilliant fish-keeping plans!

How did the DSM go?

Laughing Moving tanks is always fun...never underestimate those things! Even the tiniest amount of water seems to make them SO much heavier too!

A sponge filter rated for a 125G tank? Didn't even know they could do that much! Doubtful whether it would actually do what they claim haha.

SAE's are really good (if not the best) algae eaters when they are young, but I have found (so have many others) that as they get older they start to slack off - especially once they acquire a taste for commercial foods (mine loves flakes now).

The sump is looking good!

Good luck with the book by the way Smile and keep the updates coming! Very Happy
jsuereth
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.06.26(Sun)6:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have grabbed some picks of the tear-down. As you can tell by my sump pics, I do not have a good camera right now, so I tend to forget about photography Smile.

My dwarf hairgrass was had some nice thin runners it was sending out. When I pulled it out, I was really happy to see how long the roots were. Where the tank is (to be over the steel I-beam in my house), it only receives concentrated sunlight on one side for any prolonged amount of time. I salvaged the 'core' plants I could. I think I'm going to do DSM when I get the lights. I'm not sure what's going to happen when flooding the aquarium, but the plants grow well DSM. If I can find a good location for it, I'm going to set up my 10G for DSM and try to farm out my hairgrass so I won't have to do so much of that after I get the lights.

Another thing: I love organic potting soil now. That stuff is way nicer to deal with than flourite.
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.06.26(Sun)6:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing oh well, as long as the camera gets the job done for now Smile

Were any of the runners from the DHG having shoots making it above the substrate level?

Yeah, I've never tried DSM or heard much about it really, but from what I've heard/read/seen it seems to go really well! I think the organic potting soil would work well too! Have you used it much before?
jsuereth
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.06.26(Sun)7:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flame Angel wrote:
Were any of the runners from the DHG having shoots making it above the substrate level?

Yes, but only a few were visible and *far* more were under the surface. I think if I had been a little more patient, the sunny side of the tank would have done well. I'm pretty excited to get the new lights and try again.
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.06.26(Sun)20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsuereth wrote:
Flame Angel wrote:

Yes, but only a few were visible and *far* more were under the surface.

I've noticed that happens a lot - but the fact that some are breaking through is good. Some people think that if the substrate is too large or heavy (gravel compared to sand) the shoots can't make it through to the surface.

Good luck with it Smile
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: