Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
new setup
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
MarktheMuffin
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.06.25(Sat)8:32    Post subject: new setup Reply with quote

Hi all

I am starting to get all my bits together for my new setup, have been trying to get some mesh to go over my filters to stop gravel from getting in, local shop won't stock it as there isnt much demand for it but have some on order. Once I have it over my undergravel filter do I need to put a layer of peat over it as I will be having live plants in the tank, also will the peat efect the filtration system, atm I am using a powerhead will I be able to still use one or do I have to change it, if I can get away with using the peat then please let me know. The base of the tank inside in my head is as follows-

Filter
Mesh
Thin layer of peat, (but not to edge of filter leaving 10cm gap)
Gravel
Plants

let me know of any advice you can give to get this right

Thanks
Mark
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.06.25(Sat)11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

No peat & no undergravel filter for a planted tank. The mesh is to prevent layers mixing, not gravel blocking holes but plant roots will block an undergravel plate anyway.

You can use your powerhead to power a plant pot filter if the budget is tight.

What lighting do you have & what fish do you want?

What size tank?
MarktheMuffin
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.06.25(Sat)17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info about the filter, had a few plants before in a 48x24x24 and can remember the plants fixing themselfs to the filter, my angels used to lay eggs on the leaves but they were both femals but thats not the tank I have now, hard to explain the custom tank I have now but I know it holds 74gal (can add a pic) as for lighting I have two one is just a normal light for a tank the other tube is for plants ((natural lighting, (I think its called)) having a new lid made as the one in use now is to old and falling apart (wood, yuk!).

I would still like to use a powerhead so I can work around that and glad that I don't have to use the peat so some help with the filter system I deff need then as I have always used gravel filters, I have an old (2x3") square type filter system that slots together so I can use as much or little as needed (can't remem the name of it tho), what would you suggest on the filter build?

The fish I want will be some Angels, Tetras (Cardinals) and loaches, plants from South America (Dwarf Grass, broad leaf plants and some small ones)

Thanks for the help
Mark
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.06.26(Sun)2:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tank dimensions would help but it doesn't sound enough lighting for any but low light planting unless the tank is very shallow.
MarktheMuffin
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.06.26(Sun)7:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope this helps and works by adding the pic link

The back of the tank is 5', the two sides you see are 19" forming the side/front, it will be the same on the side you can't see as well

Depth is 24", width at widest part is 26"

[img]http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m635/MarktheMuffin/

As I said I will be getting a new lid made for it by clearseal who made the tank so hopefully I can get more lighting if asked for (room for two tubes) but yes atm I am working around low light planting[/img]
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.06.26(Sun)7:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

The photo doesn't show as the link isn't complete but it is too large for me to fix it.
Can you re measure please and does the tank have 5 or 6 sides?
A six x 17"sides hex is 78 gallons but where does the 5' measurement come in?
MarktheMuffin
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.06.26(Sun)18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m635/MarktheMuffin/

The tank has five sides, the best way to picture it is to take a 50 pence count four sides around and the draw a line from corner to corner making the fith side which is where the five feet comes in, the other four sides are just over 19" set in the shape of the 50 pence. It is quite a size tank, will try and reduce the size of pic, I have added the link again as it worked for me also clicked on share pic to see if that helps[/img]http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m635/MarktheMuffin/
http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m635/MarktheMuffin/
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: