Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Chocolate Gourami
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Zowie72
Members

PostPosted: 2011.06.24(Fri)1:05    Post subject: Chocolate Gourami Reply with quote

Hi all, I have a pair of chocolate gourami which have been flirting on and off since I got them. Today I'm pretty sure the female is hloding eggs in her mouth. I tried to take some photos, but I'm afraid they're not very good...

I have a couple of questions. How long will she hold on to them? What is the best thing to do if I want some to survive? Fry net, separate tank, just leave her in the main tank... ?

Also, the male seems to now have a problem swimming, he's alright whilst he's moving, but when he stops he twists onto his side. Is it his swim bladder and is there anything I can do for him?

It doesn't seem to be effecting him to badly at the moment, still feeding and moving around alright.

Thank for any help,
Zowie
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.06.24(Fri)1:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like she's holding but too late do move her now.

If you want fry you need the parents in their own tank.

What are your water parameters? IME Chocolate gouramis need the same water quality as Discus.
Zowie72
Members

PostPosted: 2011.06.24(Fri)13:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks diademhill, I will leave her where she is, and maybe a couple will survive... I do have a quarantine / hospital tank but it's being used by my daughter at the moment as a grow out tank for her platy fry Confused so I can't use that.

My water parameters are; ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm, nitrate 20/40ppm, pH6.8, KH 2dH and temp 28C. I do 2 x 20% water changes a week, the filter has peat in it and I add homemade blackwater extract (from oak leaves). Is there anything I should change?

Zowie
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.06.24(Fri)14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try & keep the nitrates to 20 or less otherwise that sounds fine.

Are there nitrates in your tapwater?
Zowie72
Members

PostPosted: 2011.06.24(Fri)14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

No nitrates in tap water, and I think they're probably closer to 20 than 40 in the tank, I check just before the water change, but have difficulty deciding which colour fits best on the card, so usually err on the higher side. I will up the water changes to 25% to be sure.

Thanks again, I'll have to wait and see if any manage to make it hiding in all the nooks and crannies in the tank!
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: