Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Dwarf Pufferfish
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
snakemao62
Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.27(Sun)0:35    Post subject: Dwarf Pufferfish Reply with quote

How many for a 5 gal,medium planted tank.No other fish or anything.
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.02.27(Sun)0:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although these fish (Carinotetraodon travancoricus?) are very small, I still wouldn't put one in a tank with that little volume. What are the tanks dimensions?
snakemao62
Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.27(Sun)1:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without getting the tape measure out it is just a regular rectangle 5 gal tank.
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.02.27(Sun)3:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, well I haven't had any personal experience with dwarf puffers, although I did do a lot of research into them before I found out I couldn't even get them here (not without great difficulty) Mad
Depending on who you ask, some would say 20 L is acceptable for a single dwarf puffer, however others wouldn't keep any fish in a tank under 30-40 litres. Hopefully someone here will have had some experience with them and can help you more, but personally I would just try to get a slightly bigger tank at least and keep on in there - say a 40 litre tank (or a standard 10 gal tank).

I definitely understand the allure to them though, very interesting little fish!

Were you particularly interested in keeping dwarf puffers? Or do you just have this tank lying around and thought the puffers would be a good thing to make use of it with?
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.27(Sun)4:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have kept & bred them.
A five gallon is do-able for one but they are much better in a trio or more ( but only one male per about 20 gallons) in a larger tank.
Mine did well in trios is 45 litre tanks.
For a five gallon I would suggest less sensitive species like male Endlers livebearers.
Brenda24
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.06.20(Mon)1:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. You'll often see people say bettas do best in 1-gallon tanks or whatever, but their arguments strike me as being the same ones as farmers make about keeping chickens in battery farms. They are easier to feed, you can control their behaviour, disease treatment is easier, etc. But I can't imagine a betta in a bucket is any more happy than a chicken in a cage barely bigger than it is.
monstrosity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.06.20(Mon)11:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

just do one DP. If you get a 10 gallon, you could do two female DP's, or if you get a 20 gallon, you could do two male DP's.

29 G
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: