Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
mouldy tetra help!
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
prettyjoby
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.05.14(Sat)1:12    Post subject: mouldy tetra help! Reply with quote

yesterday I bought some neon tetra, I have been keeping fish over a year now and felt I would like to give them ago. in the pet store there was hundreds of tetra in that tank, and I asked the shop keeper for 6. when I got home, I discovered 3 of the fish had fungus growing on their bodies. around their dorsel fins. as a result I was unable to put them in my tank and have currently got them in a betta tank. how can I treat these fish for mould? can they be treated?
thanks for any help given,
Emma
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.05.14(Sat)1:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it look like this?
That is Pleistophora hyphessobryconis, a sporozoan often know an neon tetra disease.

Not treatable so return them to the store and explain. Have a good look in the tank & you'll see others with signs.

It doesn't just affect neons -good thing you noticed before putting them in your tank.
prettyjoby
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.05.14(Sat)7:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

um, I am not sure tbh,
I did a bit of research, and went out and bought an anti fungal treatment whilst I was waiting for replies (I am quite an impatient person) lol
um the fish don't have body discoloration, of signs of fading etc..
one of the fish has a mouldy patch on one flank, which looks kinda cottonwool ish
they are feeding and appear to swim normally as far as I can see.. so I really don't know.. on one of the fish the dorsel fin looks a little ragged. I have a seven day guarentee on the fish, but I would like to try and cure them if possible. of course if they do indeed have ntd they have no chance -_-; I feel so disappointed. bearing in mind this probably means other fish in store have the condition (the tank was high up so I could not inspect them well in the store) I would probably not want to buy more fish off them.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: