Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Missing Peacock eel
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
multiplepets
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.05.07(Sat)10:56    Post subject: Missing Peacock eel Reply with quote

I purchased a peacock eel yesterday and made sure my tank suited its needs but it seems to have gone missing I know they are jumpers so I checked my entire floor and found nothing I also checked hide holes in the tank. What I am wondering is if its normal for the eel to bury itself for a few days when in a new tank because I don't know were else it could have gone other than into the substrate any advice would be great. Thanks.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.05.07(Sat)11:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

They usually burrow into the substrate and in fact if the substrate is suitable for burrowing a spiny eel not doing so during the day would be giving cause for concern.

Were you not informed of this prior to purchase?
Cinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.05.07(Sat)19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a peacock eel for several years. And, although it usually hides during most of the day - we often see it out and about. Mine loves to play in the filter outflow current. I do have a lot of plants, rocks and other 'open' hidey' holes in the tank so I think it feels very comfortable.

There have most certainly been a couple of times that I haven't seen it at all for almost a week at a time.

When I moved it into my 135 gln. tank I didn't have many plants in it yet and my eel went missing a couple days later. There wasn't any place for it to hide that I couldn't see (even when it hides under the sand or gravel mine always has at least the tip of his nose sticking out) so I was concerned. I had a new canister filter with larger spaces on the filter intake. We carried the canister to the sink; plugged up the sink... just in case... and carefully opened the canister. There it was... swimming around just fine in the bottom!! Freaked me out... I immediately got a new cover for the intake and haven't had to worry about that near disaster again.

Hope you find it soon.
multiplepets
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.05.09(Mon)19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks and I did find it but I was wondering what do you feed your eel because mine isnt responding to flakes so I put in some small earthworms and he ate one but what else can I feed him that you have had success with?
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.05.10(Tue)1:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

They won't eat flakes. You need to feed defrosted ( frozen ) bloodwroms, mysis or buy a south American cichlid frozen mix.

Small garden worms from a pesticide free place are good too.
multiplepets
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.05.10(Tue)5:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I'll see if I can find some, but I do have a local store that sells freeze dried blood worms for a good price, its how they raise their guppies, do you think he would eat the freeze dried worms?
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.05.10(Tue)10:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freeze dried are not suitable.
Cinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.05.11(Wed)19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine eat frozen bloodworms - thawed out before feeding.

and, mine LOVES live bloodworms.
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: