Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Possible Fish TB - Need some advice
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Phil1078
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.05.11(Wed)10:12    Post subject: Possible Fish TB - Need some advice Reply with quote

Okay, so here is the deal. I have had this False SAE for a bit over 4 years, maybe 5. He has been hiding more and getting thinner. I figured he would die soon of old age, since I had him so long. I didn't want to cull him just in case I was wrong. Another thing to note is that one of my golden barbs has a spine bent a little in sort of an S-shape in the horizontal plain (in other words side to side not up and down). I had heard that this happens from old age sometimes, so I dismissed it, as the barb is the same age approximately as the False SAE. He has been like that for 6 months. My tank otherwise seems health, as my croaking gouramis continue to breed about every two weeks. I also have a pair of amano shrimp that I have had for two or three months now. I considered my tank to be healthy and stable.

The situation now.

Over the weekend, I was out of town. The False SAE is gone, so I can only assume it died and was consumed by the others. My female croaking gourami has popeye now. I assumed that it was from the ammonia of the decaying False SAE. The day I got back, I did a water change of about 25%. From what I read, I just thought it was an ammonia issue. Today, the other golden barb had a read circle on its side. It looks like a brush-burn that you'd get on your knee from carpet burn. It is about the size of the 3/4's the height of the fish seen laterally. I cannot seem to get a good picture of this, but I will keep trying.

So I started doing research, and I am afraid the tank is infected with TB. This makes me apprehensive, as I certainly don't want the TB. All the fish are behaving normally, and eating just fine. I really could use some advice.

I have worked hard in recent months to keep my tank in top shape. I started to use Purigen, soon after I had amano shrimp survive for the first time, I have kept up a weekly water change regime up for a few months, and my croaking gouramis that I previously thought were male, started to breed around every other week after the water change.

Please help!
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.05.11(Wed)10:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like ammonia burn. How are you using the Purigen as I've heard of similar problems with it's long term use in other tanks.
Phil1078
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.05.11(Wed)12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it in one of Seachem's bags.

Does ammonia burn cause distortion of the spine?
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.05.11(Wed)12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ammonis causes brown marks or chemical burns to the fish.

Some chemicals can cause spines to bend.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: