Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
few comet goldfish questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.04.25(Mon)1:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

prinzessandretti wrote:
diademhill wrote:
About a year tp an overall length of 9 inches.

Not long for a fish that lives 20+ years.

Oh my gosh! I have had my three lovely comets for about nine months now and they're only about 4.5-5 inches nose to end of the tail (not exact of course, held a tape measure to the tank and tried following them around to get these numbers. kinda comical to watch actually =) Did I stunt their growth, or did my LFS do it? How does stunting happen? I was VERY misinformed at the time when I bought them. Also, totally new, so be gentle if I'm not following protocol please. Embarassed

If you have them in a ten gallon tank you have done well to keep three alive but they are stunted.
In my pond the fry reach about 4" body length by their first winter (they don't grow(or feed) while it is really cold) they have tails almost as long as their bodies so measure about 7" overall -this is from zero not from the size you buy them.

This is an adult goldfish. Comets are the same with longer fins.

I suggest you start scouring Craigslist or freecycle for a larger tank.

Found a big comet but don't know if the video will play overseas.
prinzessandretti
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.04.25(Mon)4:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have been upgrading several times over... when I bought my little beggars I thought I was being 'smart' by asking an employee at the lfs, "How many goldfish should I get for my little 1 gallon tank?" He said THREE!! They started looking cramped pretty quick, so found 'em a 5 gallon on CL, and right around this time I found you guys. (I know the fish are thankful for THAT little discovery) I have been learning A LOT from this site, and I know the 10 gallon isn't gonna cut it, as I've been on the hunt for the 20 g. Honestly, I never thought we'd have 'em this long! But, I am so thrilled they survived my ignorance. One more question for the time being....how will the stunting affect their life span? We talkin' dramatically, like these kids have a 3-5 year expectancy, or ....?

The video played perfectly by the way. Thank you.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.04.25(Mon)4:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

forget a 20g and try a 55 or 75g as these are common second hand.

Stunted goldfish with half decent accommodation can still live 15 -20 years but rarely live as long as fish that have had steady growth.

The average survival time for goldfish sold in petshops is usually measured in weeks and not months or years. Sad
prinzessandretti
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.04.25(Mon)5:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha!! JUST found a 55 gallon for free on craigslist!! (love that site)

When I have a pet, I do my best to care for it....It is depending on me to do so.

Pet shops should be no different. That's awful.
Mad

Thank you for your time, and making me light a fire under my seating area.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: