Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Can fish 'choke'?
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Zowie72
Members

PostPosted: 2011.04.15(Fri)2:40    Post subject: Can fish 'choke'? Reply with quote

Something is not quite right with one of my male cherry barbs... I was feeding my fishes some bloodworms yesterday and this particular cherry barb seemed to have problems eating one of them, it was sticking half out his mouth for a while, but eventually went down. However now he appears to be almost gasping (mouth and gill movements are too fast) and can't seem to eat anything, he pulls food in, but it comes straight back out again. Could the bloodworm be stuck still? Is there anything I can do for him?

Any help appreciated,
Zowie.
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2011.04.22(Fri)9:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's your barb now?

Fish can definitely choke to death, there are several reports here on the board and all over the net, but in most cases it involves attempts to eat hard or spiny critters such as cories or crabs. Worms and other softer foods aren't usually problematic...

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
Zowie72
Members

PostPosted: 2011.04.22(Fri)14:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply! My barb is fine now, he spent a couple of days not being able to eat and sort of gasping, but he continued swimming normally. I kept an eye on him and he's managed to sort himself out and is happily eating and chasing females again. Smile
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: