Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
senegal bichir
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
multiplepets
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.01(Tue)9:46    Post subject: senegal bichir Reply with quote

I have recently purchased 2 Senegal Bichir 1 died and I wondered why, I found that these guys are aggressive. I have a 50g planted tank with lots of small fish but I also have feeder guppies for added color (the males turn neon colors) I'm wondering if I keep lots of small easy to eat fish if my bichir will leave my tetras alone and just go for the guppies btw don't listen to what petsmart has to say research first otherwise you'll end up like me Embarassed
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.01(Tue)9:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are predators and will eat any fish that fits in their mouths. They actually tend to prefer tetras to guppies as the tetras are usually lower in the tank and take less effort to catch.

These fish grow to about 20" and can eat fish as large as your finger.
multiplepets
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.01(Tue)10:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks Crying or Very sad well it looks like I"m getting a new tank
Catfishy
Members

PostPosted: 2011.03.27(Sun)3:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't keep a bichir in any tank smaller than 90 gallons. In fact, I have been wanting a bichir for years but my 90-gal tank is devoted to awesome catfishes.

Look at this as an excuse to get a bigger tank.....
My idea for an awesome bichir tank is is like a West African theme tank: a bichir for the bottom layer, African butterflyfish in the top layer, and a huge shoal of Congo tetras. Plus probably some synodontis cats of some sort, because I love me my catfish Very Happy
tomtomtom
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.11.29(Tue)11:20    Post subject: birchirs Reply with quote

yea I have two birchirs. they are kept in a 100 gallon with african cichlids, and even though africans are aggressive they still tend to get the smaller ones.
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: