Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Rams and tankmates
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.02.23(Tue)14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only have room for one shoal in a 20g and I gave you the list of the three best choices.

Silver tips are nippy with each other but should be OK with the Rams.
GoldieATX
Members

PostPosted: 2010.02.23(Tue)15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pair or Bolivian rams, so I figured I'd add my two cents. The bigger, older one always remains at the bottom 1/3 of the tank. I have fed Dainichi Ultima sinking cichlid pellets (baby size, I think) for 2 years, and he gobbles them up once they reach his zone. The newer, smaller ram will venture a little higher, and he (or she?) will grab flakes or bloodworms that sink down to about 2/3 from the bottom.

The bigger one is never particularly active. He hangs out in the shadows of plants, and occasionally just patrols the front of the tank at the bottom. It sometimes scuffles with the smaller one (and other small fish) and chases it away if it gets to close to his territory (especially during feeding). I see the smaller one all over the tank, but certainly not as active as the other schooling fish.

It's a 46 gallon tank with lots of plants. Approximately 79 degrees and pH 7.2. In addition to the rams, I have 7 lemon tetras that are fun to watch (be sure you get a school of 7+), as well as many otocinclus, ghost shrimp, and 2 clown plecos. They all get along just fine. The shrimp get eaten from time to time, but it's hard to say who's the culprit.

Just about any of the small characins would go very well with your rams. Lemon tetras, cardinals, or serpaes will work. I had some Emperor tetras with my rams at one point, and I'd love to get some more someday when I have available tank space.

Some corys would go well in there and would appreciate your sand, but they may make the rams a little anxious, as they are bottom-dwellers. I think all the other suggestions made here are good ones for your tank.

Make sure your rams have some plants and hiding places. I'm guessing the light you have isn't too strong, so you'll have no problem leaving it on a little longer for your plants (and fish). I hope your ram is healthy (if maybe a little lazy), and that you have good luck with your tank. Add a picture when you get a chance, so we can check it out!
BigShrimp
Members

PostPosted: 2010.02.23(Tue)17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pristella's are great , so are harlequins . Be sure to get at least 6 .

Serpea's are fin nippers , beware .
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.03.04(Fri)6:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

silvertips were my first fish...I still love them..
they like to chase each other all over the tank..but they are a bit aggressive ..so I had to give them back to store in order to get some new colorful fishes..!!
I have a pair of Ram now!!..
yes they do get stressed in 1st..give her sometime..
try to give her live blood worms..every fish loves blood worms...
my female don't eat flakes and pellets..I have to feed her freeze dried tubifex worms and blood worms,
occasionally live blood worms..and freeze dried shrimps as the treat sometimes..
try to provide different foods to them...and don't worry....everything will be back to normal..
just remember one thing..Ram needs a clear water, so do 10/20% water change every other day..
it only takes 10 minutes to change the water..
once they get comfortable you can do water change twice a week..
and don't change the decoration right now in your tank..as it will stress her more..just act like normal..
and keep the temperature around 27/28 degree...

if both of them are females..return one to the store and get a male Ram..may be he can change her behavior ..
you never know..haha..
all the best..!!
AAQBukhari
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.03.05(Sat)6:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a pair of GBR's a month ago. They were very shy and my orange chromides killed one. After that the other one came out of hiding and has become very active, swimming to the front of the tank when I come close.
Good tankmates for these and Bolivian Rams include: danios, barbs, chromides & tetras. If it is a big tank, you can include rainbow sharks and loaches.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.03.05(Sat)7:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bukhari wrote:

Good tankmates for these and Bolivian Rams include: danios, barbs, chromides & tetras. If it is a big tank, you can include rainbow sharks and loaches.

Chromides are a low end brackish fish and should not be kept with Rams.
AAQBukhari
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.03.06(Sun)2:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, diademhill Confused . My water temperature is 27 degrees Celsius and the pH is 7.0. Both the ram and the chromides have never been sick and are thriving.
freshigal
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2011.03.26(Sat)19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are available in your area you might consider pencilfish. They swim mid to upper areas of the tank and are peaceful fish. There is good information on them in the gallery. I have had good success with my rams and pencils together.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: