Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.03.23(Wed)5:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

59FIFTY wrote:
As a Christian, I believe that God will not destroy the earth by water as He said he would not destroy the earth by water again. To me that means that the most likely next guess would be by fire or heat, causing the earth to go dry. .

So you believe he will destroy the earth though?
Nova_C
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2011.03.23(Wed)7:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun fact regarding moving the earth too close to the sun: Our planet's orbit around the sun isn't symmetrical. Not only is it an elliptical orbit, but one side of the orbit is much closer to the sun than the other side. During this time that the earth is much closer to the sun, the northern hemisphere experiences winter. Smile
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.03.23(Wed)14:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I offend anyone, but I personally believe that he will eventually destroy the earth, but I highly doubt it will be a bunch of mass explosions or something crazy like that. I remember in elementary school saying stuff like "the sun will explode in 3,965,878,184,489 years!" <----(I just made that number up but it was a large number). Now I do believe that the sun will burn out, not necessarily that far into the future, but science proves that it will burn out some day just like every other star. Thus causing plants to die causing animals to die causing us to die. Now I know you are thinking "Well we have electricity!" But it will be far too expensive to pay for enough to keep you and your family and animals alive. That would also make the earth a lot colder so the water would maybe freeze. I also think that, since our sun is a star just like any other, there are other solar systems somewhere out there. I mean think about it, There are countless numbers of stars out there and I think that God could control those too.
Nova_C
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2011.03.23(Wed)19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's something like 5 or 6 billion years before the sun is supposed to run out of fuel. I highly doubt that humanity will live that long. Extinction is a fact of life - it's how nature works. Right now animals are going extinct in ways that has nothing to do with humans and there have been three mass extinction events in the earth's history. Very few species have survived more than a couple hundred million years (If any) and mankind will be no different. That said, we've only been here like 60,000 and we've completely changed the earth in that time, so who knows what will happen.

Chances are pretty good that there is life on another planet, but sentient, space travel capable life? I may agree that life is out there, but intelligent life is something I'll have to see to believe. It's fun to think about though. Smile

Note that even if there is still life on Earth when the sun begins its dying cycle, chances are the effects of the last stage of a star's life will scour the surface of the earth clean of life before it actually burns out. Stars can go out in spectacular fashion, though and it's too bad the sun is too small a star to collapse into a black hole. Razz
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.03.23(Wed)19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

And its weird to think that our sun is as small as it is even though at sunset it looks so massive, but some of those tiny white dots in the night sky are bigger than our sun!
Nova_C
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2011.03.23(Wed)22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

The largest supermassive stars are several orders of magnitude larger than the sun. Sol is pretty junior in the universe. Smile

The concept I find more interesting than any other regarding astronomy is how space is a time machine by virtue of it's size. When we see the light of a star that is 100 million light years away, we are seeing that star as it was 100 million years ago.

Oh, and how gravity affects space, actually changing the plane of space/time.

So cool.
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.03.23(Wed)23:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

59FIFTY wrote:
but I personally believe that he will eventually destroy the earth

Why? I'm not trying to start an argument or be offensive, but why would he destroy what he created? (note - I'm an atheist).

Oh and no doubt if the sun goes, we go. But like Nova_C said, the chances of us still being around by that time are pretty slim.

Quote:
and there have been three mass extinction events in the earth's history.

I'd been taught there were 5 mass extinctions, with it generally considered to be a sixth currently underway (the only human-induced one). Although I seem to remember two of them having a fair amount less species loss, so maybe they are sometimes considered not to be 'mass' extinctions?
Nova_C
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2011.03.24(Thu)1:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's probable. I learned of three, but I'm sure there are other catastrophic events that maybe some people define differently. Anyway, yeah, I've also heard the idea that there's one underway now, which is quite possible. All of the big ones took thousands of years to happen I think.
ant1
Members

PostPosted: 2011.05.18(Wed)14:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

we all think that there may be an external reason for the end of time but.........what would happen if the earths core ran out of magma to feed our volcano's?.I would imagine that the earth would just implode should it run out.is there a way to determine how much molten rock is still waiting to be expelled or is there even a method of trying to calculate/determine what would happen if this event ever came to pass. Question
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.05.18(Wed)20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flame Angel: Why did he destroy it before? Because US the people made it what we wanted. Not how God wanted it to be! That is the reason the Bible gives for the great flood.
Side note: contrary to popular belief, When God said to Moses "Build an arch and load 2 of every animal on the arch so you and your family will be safe." Is not correct. God said "Take 7 of every animal and load them onto the arch 2 by 2."
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: