Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Oscar with pleco stuck in his mouth...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Ads and Links  Reply to topic   Post new topic
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.09.29(Sat)18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...is the pleco still alive?
plus all kinds of smaller containers
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.09.29(Sat)19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related note. It is not uncommon for Goldfish keepers to want to keep Cories in with Goldfish because the Cories are so appealing. Goldfish are not normally carnivores but as with any fish if something fits in their mouth it eventually will find its way in.

Goldfish occasionally will eat a Cory. Also occasionally a Cory will get stuck in the Goldys mouth when it locks it
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.09.29(Sat)19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcos Avila
Oscars are predators...eating fish is what they do for a living, literally. It's in their genes. That's the moral of this story: put an oscar in a tank with a fish that has the slightest chance of going into the oscar's mouth, and sooner or later it will

Well said Marcos!
creativemess
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.09.30(Sun)9:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a horrible shame.
artemis1
Members

PostPosted: 2007.09.30(Sun)10:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Not the first time I've seen that happen...
cichlidboy22
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.27(Sun)17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I'm surprised nobody said is what a dumb oscar. Talk about biting off more than he can chew. Still, shame Sad
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.01.27(Sun)19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is humor to be found anywhere but to go over old ground may be worthwhile.

Any and all creatures have the urge to survive. It is not a question of intelligence but a basic need to live long enough. It is not a good idea to put different size fish in the same tank. While various critters may CO2-exist for extended periods of time disaster is always just around the bend.

I have seen siblings of the same size face off and one wins the other loses by being eaten. I cannot figure this one out but I have seen it happen so sometimes size is not the deciding factor. Sometimes being first or more aggressive denotes the survivor.

The essential point here is respect the critters and the smallness of aquaria. Mixing critters for our own aesthetic reasons can be fraught with peril and aggravation for the critters and us. Different species and sizes can work sometimes...sometimes not.
CATINHAT99
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.01.28(Mon)14:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcos wrote "That's the moral of this story: put an oscar in a tank with a fish that has the slightest chance of going into the oscar's mouth, and sooner or later it will, possibly to the demise of both"

That being said and never having any Oscars myself, if the fish had been well fed would it still have eaten the pleco Question
Trill the man
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.30(Wed)13:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry if this is offenses to anyone, it is not meant to! But still, I just had to have a good chuckle at that. I love fish when they surprise us like that. Although really, as Marcos has pointed out, it shouldn't be a surprise if you think about it. As much as we like to place our own human personalities on our fishy pets, they are what they are, a swimming organism which will do what it needs to survive. Its the same when fish jumps from the tank, its not commiting fish suicide, just doing what it thinks is the best way to improve the situation at the point in time. This Oscar was obviously just following his own natural instincts to use his big mouth for what it was made for Laughing . Makes you wonder what Oscars try out in the wild and come to a similar demise Confused .

Phil Wink
inkadina
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.03.18(Fri)0:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an aquarium that kept Oscar fishes together with other kinds of fishes. As the Oscar fishes gets older, they become wilder and start biting the other fishes including Hammer Head and Big Head fish and I have already lost a couple of the other fishes. I don't have anymore spaces to put a new aquarium to separate the fishes. What can I do? How to stop the Oscar fishes from biting other fishes? I do have a point outside the house, will the Oscar fishes survive if I put them outside?
 Forum Index > Ads and Links All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: