Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Best Substrate for very large tank?
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
jsuereth
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.03.12(Sat)15:57    Post subject: Best Substrate for very large tank? Reply with quote

I've been pricing different substrates for my 125G tank.

Right now I'm torn. I love the Flourite black sand in my Edge. It's just a beautiful substrate, and the high CEC makes dosing the substrate simple.

I was also thinking, financially, to use natural no-fertilizer soil (also high CEC AFAIK) and cover with children's play sand. I have a ton of it left over from my kid's sandbox, so this could be an ideal use, however it's not black Wink

So the question: Is there a cheap way to get a good CEC substrate that has a black sandy look? I plan to have cories and tons of plants (ideally Iwagumi-like setup, but adapted for low-tech).
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.03.14(Mon)8:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isnt the first product that comes to mind but if you are willing to put in a little work how about Miracle Grow Eco? Going to a DIRTED tank.

Save a ton money NOT only on the expensive substrate but on Ferts as well. I have some over a months worth of research and when I upgrade to my 75 it is the way I am going.
jsuereth
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.03.14(Mon)18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds pretty awesome. Are you going high tech?

Can you share any research you've done? Id love to hear more. I plan to start googling the idea.
Peterjay
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.03.14(Mon)20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty much in the same boat - getting ready to set up a 90 and a 30 - I've also been researching the soil substrate method. I picked up a used copy of Diana Walstad's book, "The Ecology of the Planted Aquarium" on Amazon, and if you haven't read it, she answers a ton of questions. Pretty heavy reading, but the amount of info is priceless if you want to go low-tech.
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.03.15(Tue)10:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am already in the hi-tech area except my substrate.
Pressurized co2
High light
heavy filtration
dry and liq ferts

But my substrate is my limiting factor.

There are 2 ways to go MTS (mineralized top soil) or the easy route (miracle grow eco)

Really a lot of info, I will shoot you a pm.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: