Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New Rim for an aquarium
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
jsuereth
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.03.08(Tue)17:31    Post subject: New Rim for an aquarium Reply with quote

So, I've decided to get a new rim for my aquarium as well as redo some of the silicone seals. I don't like the look of two of the seals on my 125G and although it holds water now, it looks like failure is imminent.

While I'm at it, the center brace has some burn damage from, what I'm guessing, is light damage. I want to replace the entire rim with something that I could use as a decorative top, as I'm planning to forgo a canopy.

So, I have three questions:

(1) Does anyone know where I can get a new rim for an aquarium?
If not then (2) Does anyone know how to make a eurobrace with center cross brace out of glass? Eurobracing seems simple enough but my glass is only 3/8" thick and really needs one (or two) cross braces. I'm not exactly sure how to attach the brace to the eurobrace so that it looks good *and* relieves stress on the glass.
(3) How can I tell if my glass is tempered? The bottom glass has a sticker labeled 'tempered' glass. Does this mean the whole thing is tempered?

Yeah, so (3) isn't exactly relevant but I'm curious.

Thanks for the help guys!
Darkblade48
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.03.08(Tue)17:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer question 3, if the sticker only says the bottom pane is tempered, this is most likely the case.

However, to be certain, you can take a pair of polarized lens, and view the various panes. If the glass is tempered, it will have patterns different than that of a normal pane of glass.
susankatomerit
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.03.08(Tue)17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of lfs can order the top frame for you. Just make sure you have the exact measurements or take the old one off and take it with you. I have a 55 where the center brace is broke and even petsmart said they would order me one for about $15.00
jsuereth
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.03.09(Wed)18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

So for $15 I can have a 3" glass brace made and try to remove through frame completely. Do you think 3/8" professional grade silicon could take the stress of bowing? Would this just look too terrible to attempt?
susankatomerit
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.03.09(Wed)22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO read my post again. It says you can get an lfs to order a replacement rim/brace which is usually plastic for 15 bucks.
jsuereth
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.03.10(Thu)7:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I read this. I called a glass company about getting a brace cut because I'm ordering sump baffles from them. If a glass brace would work with new rim, and is about the same price then I think I want to try it. Otherwise, it's back to plastic.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: