Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
mold on hood
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
jsuereth
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.02.26(Sat)16:56    Post subject: mold on hood Reply with quote

I just picked up a new tank/stand/hood combo (was a saltwater setup) it all seems nice except for the mold on the inside of the hood. I'm removing the mold with a rag and it comes off very easily. I think its just growing on the surface of the wood, not under the finish.

a few questions:

* is this normal?
* is there any special way to clean it?
* what can I do to prevent it?

I was thinking of getting a few computer cooling fans to run in the hood along with the lighting fixture; wdyt?
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.26(Sat)20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the hood not properly sealed? Mold shouldn't be growing on a good finish. If it's not sealed, you may have to do this, bare timber doesn't do well when constantly exposed to water/humidity.

Could try wiping it with a little clove oil if you have some of this on hand, that'll kill mold. Wiping it off should be good enough though, mold doesn't really tend to penetrate deep.

On the topic of fans, depends if you think it's worthwhile. They're quite easy to rig up, but if the hood doesn't get hot, may not really do much.
jsuereth
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.02.26(Sat)21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a few shots of the mold:

As I said, it wipe of cleanly with a rag, I'm just concerned that perhaps the canopy isn't done properly. The whole stand was a DIY rig I purchased on craigslist. The stand itself looks great on the inside, no sign of mold so far.

Do you think refinishing the stand would help? To be honest, I'm a bit disappointed in the canopy and was debating going without one anyway.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: