Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Coral reefs and US
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
killifish999
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.25(Fri)6:47    Post subject: Coral reefs and US Reply with quote

don't keep salt water fish myself .And don't intend this as a slam to folks that do .Also hope this thread doesn't get me booted from this site LOL ..

But are we or folks that keep these fish doing our reefs a disservice today ? How many of these types of fish and corals ect are captive bred ?

Personally it saddens me to know we might be aiding in the destruction of these sensitive ecosystems .

So can anyone clue me in as to if this is true as to keeping and collecting these fish and corals ? Hopefully you will cheer me up with some good info as to what is going on .

Thnks !
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2011.02.26(Sat)18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great questions, I think you will find that most of us here are very sensitive to the marine environment and the need for sustainable catch practices. I have been a certified diver since 1977, I am a former licensed collector with wholesale and retail experience, and I am greatly concerned about not only the waste in the industry but also the animals themselves.

I think we all agree that improper capture techniques such as drugs and explosives should be outlawed, and they already are in many areas. There will always be room for improvement, particularly in undeveloped countries.

In some cases, harvest restrictions can be employed and they will work. Some areas and species are overfished, (I have addressed on other threads the Yellow Tang situation in Hawaii) but I believe this can be controlled and managed in a workable manner just as it is for other wild stocks in the ocean. I am not a "radical environmentalist" in the sense that I feel all ocean water and coral reefs should be a "zero-catch" or "harvest-free" restricted zone. (this is the current trend with some groups). I just think we have to manage these areas properly and use a balanced, sustainable approach. Responsible hunters, collectors and fisherman like myself have been doing this for many years.

Many of the fish species sold in some retailers are now captive reared, and we are seeing great improvements in this industry; most notably in the captive propagation of live corals. Many hobbyists around the world are members of local Marine Aquarium Clubs which share and encourage the local trade in captive bred corals, and this is growing every year.

I salute you for your concern and questions. In my opinion, much of the problem has to do with the trade in certain species that are far too delicate for captivity, and also the lack of education for beginners. That's why I have written an extensive article with almost 30,000 views on the topic of which species to avoid, here:
http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=17688
killifish999
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.26(Sat)18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floridaboy : Thank you very much for your very informative reply .Here in Gainesville I frequent aqua tropics regularly .

The other day I noticed they had an octopus in a jar looking thing stuffed in a tank with some very sad looking sea horses of varying varieties .Again I don't keep salt water fish and don't know if I ever will .And don't really know much about them myself .

Some of the horses had gotten sucked into the filter .The octopus looked dreadful and was shedding cups .Shouldn't a retailer be reported if they don't appear to be taking care of these beautiful animals ?

Also leaving the dead fish in with the others is also repulsive .doesn't make me want to purchase fish from a place like that myself .

don't want to be a snitch .But seeing any animal in conditions like this is very disturbing .

Have heard octopus as well as cuddle fish are very intelligent .Should these animals even be kept as pets I wonder myself .

Thanks again ..
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2011.02.26(Sat)19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend, I would not purchase any animals from a store that didn't have healthy livestock!

As for the octopus; they are not for beginners or the unprepared... the reason you often see them contained in a holding jar is due to their penchant for viciously attacking and eating their tankmates; also their talent for escaping almost any unsealed aquarium and dying on the floor.

I have captured them in the wild here in Florida, seen these on display in aquaria, and despite the many problems I can tell you they are fascinating in captivity. The Seattle Aquarium usually maintains a monster specimen or two for the public to view; I have some photos somewhere I took of their display when I was there.

Unless you have seen one up close, you have no idea how responsive they can be; they change color instantly and I do mean instantly; in the blink of an eye from white to blood red or dark brown. They are lightning fast, consummate predators, and smart too; they can figure things out, like how to uncork a bottle and slide an arm in to grab a tasty crab. The tips of the arms are extremely sensitive, quivering with excitement.

That said, I would consider them to be more of an educational display animal than a long term "pet," simply because even in the wild, octopus have a short life span; usually 12-18 months

Last edited by FloridaBoy on 2011.03.19(Sat)14:06; edited 1 time in total
killifish999
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.27(Sun)16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thanks for the octopus info .Yeah heard they are quite intelligent creatures also .Will check and see if they are also related to the cuttle fish ? If that how you spell cuttle fish LOL .
Mike612
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2011.02.27(Sun)16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're related to Cuttlefish.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: