Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
female or short finned male?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
pchsncrm0812
Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.12(Sat)22:35    Post subject: female or short finned male? Reply with quote

This has kind of been a debate in my household lately so I figured I'd try and get the opinions of some of the other betta lovers on here. I wanted to make a sorority tank a few months back but one of the "females" I bought wanted nothing to do with anything I put in to the tank. Other bettas (there were 3 initially), or the cory cats.. she chased them all, and continuously flared up until I just had to seperate them. I think "she" may really be a "he". I've heard that sometimes there can be males with shorter fins, but I don't know if thats true or not.

Thanks! Very Happy
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.13(Sun)1:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd guess male, those are pretty large fins for a female. Short fin males do exist (but I don't think yours would be classified as one) - have a look for "plakat betta".
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.13(Sun)3:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a male.
pchsncrm0812
Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.13(Sun)10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.. I knew it! His fins were shorter when I bought him. As with all bettas, once you get them home and get them into a proper environment, they tend to flourish and some change somewhat. I gave one of the three to a friend of mine, and the 2 remaining are in a divided 10 gallon, happy as can be.
pchsncrm0812
Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.17(Thu)23:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the other ones I got that day, same store, and their fins were very similar in size at the time

So now the tank has a meshed divider to keep them apart, but my question is will they both still be stressed knowing the other is right there? They each have a little cave to hind in, and a few silk plants, but I just don't know if it's enough, or if I should move the male out.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.02.18(Fri)2:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of a cave they would prefer floating plants - they can be silk.

They should be fine with that divider.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: