Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
plant quarantine
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
lisam
Members

PostPosted: 2010.04.19(Mon)23:57    Post subject: plant quarantine Reply with quote

Just curious to find out if any of you quantine your plants prior to placing them in your main tank. Just read an article on ich last week that mentioned a 1 day quarantine for plants & live food just in case they might contain any theronts. If so, could you just put the plants in a bucket of water for a day without doing them any harm?
bozistheboss
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.20(Tue)1:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a lot of people will dip their plants in a very weak bleach solution for a few seconds to sterilize them. I tend to just wash mine off in tapwater, though I HAVE used the bleach solution before with no ill effects. I've never personally quarantined a plant, though.

I've never used live food but I expect a quarantine is probably a good idea for that. I tend to avoid live food and animals that require it simply because I'm afraid of parasites/diseases since the only place I could buy live food (aside from raising it myself) is a pretty nasty pet store.
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.20(Tue)2:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could quarantine, and it probably would have no ill effects. I prefer to just wash it like boz said. If you are worried just do a 4-5min dip in a 1 part bleach and 9 parts water. That would take care of most parasites.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.20(Tue)2:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah!! Thats a LOT of bleach Caton!! You only need about a teaspoon to a gallon on water Very Happy
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.20(Tue)2:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrgh...I meant 1 part bleach 20 parts water.
Members

PostPosted: 2010.04.20(Tue)7:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll probably do a 1 day quarantine & and wash all new plants well. I don't currently wait to feed live foods, but probably should. I'm pretty spoiled though, as my LFS is actually "That Fish Place" (thatfishplace.com) - every time I go there I am impressed all over again. Very Happy
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.04.20(Tue)8:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, I usually do a 1/20 bleach dip for <1 min with most plants (unless they're really delicate).

If you're going to quarantine, remember there are other things besides ich - this is one of many many diseases that can make it into the tank.
lisam
Members

PostPosted: 2010.04.20(Tue)10:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. I will do the bleach dip. Can't wait to finally get started on a true planted tank!
Zowie72
Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.13(Sun)19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to ask the very same question, glad I did a quick search first and found the answer already here. In the past I just rinsed in tap water and did a snail search, now I'll add the 1 to 20 bleach dip in to be extra sure.

Very Happy
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: